Tearolator with 2012 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Americana
To clear the air a little, I had been using the PL14610s for 6000 mile intervals for years. It wasn't until I got back onto this site to research 2 stroke oils that I found out that these are defective and so I went outside that night and pulled the filter. I made an account so that people who have them stocked up know they wont even last 2000 miles.

The regular members here pretty much know the Purolator tearing problem ... but it never hurt to keep reporting failed filter - no matter what brand.

Don't you guys know that the air filter is the most important filter, who cares about oil filters, even if they tear it's not like it hurts your engine. Who cares if the oil filter doesn't even filter oil? We need to find an oil filter company who will produce an empty can to screw on.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Don't you guys know that the air filter is the most important filter, who cares about oil filters, even if they tear it's not like it hurts your engine. Who cares if the oil filter doesn't even filter oil? We need to find an oil filter company who will produce an empty can to screw on.

crackmeup2.gif

The Placebolator Zero. Advanced synthetic design (that is, the design was synthesized, not the filter media) to maximize oil flow.

Actually, I'm surprised there isn't something like this for race applications. Do those Top Fuel dragsters generate significant debris in a 1/4 mile run to warrant an oil filter?

Originally Posted By: Americana
To clear the air a little, I had been using the PL14610s for 6000 mile intervals for years. It wasn't until I got back onto this site to research 2 stroke oils that I found out that these are defective and so I went outside that night and pulled the filter. I made an account so that people who have them stocked up know they wont even last 2000 miles.

UH!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
When was the filter made?

The can says F02G09E1. I'm pretty sure that means Feb 9, 2015.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Wondering about what makes it tear. Do you drive aggressively? stomp on the gas?

Most (all?) oil pumps are constant volume designs. Maximum pressure would be developed at max RPM, as oil is not a compressible fluid. Media tear due to excessive pressure should be protected by the bypass valve. So either there's defective media (insufficient tensile strength and/or damaged during the folding process), or a faulty bypass valve.

Either way, I see this as a breakdown in the manufacturing process (i.e. Purolator's fault) rather than the end-user "abusing" his vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Arved

crackmeup2.gif

The Placebolator Zero. Advanced synthetic design (that is, the design was synthesized, not the filter media) to maximize oil flow.

Actually, I'm surprised there isn't something like this for race applications. Do those Top Fuel dragsters generate significant debris in a 1/4 mile run to warrant an oil filter?

Arved and Nick1994, that's a great post, I might add it to my signature, lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
We need to find an oil filter company who will produce an empty can to screw on.

Don't give Purolator any ideas. They might just do it.
wink.gif

They could at least claim it's good for 300K miles.
laugh.gif

No wonder Walmart doesn't sell them anymore. I remember when they put them on clearance for $1.50.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
No wonder Walmart doesn't sell them anymore. I remember when they put them on clearance for $1.50.

They still have a few Puro classics left here, can't get rid of them. They are marked at 75 cents clearance. Only worth a garbage can to me.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741

They still have a few Puro classics left here, can't get rid of them. They are marked at 75 cents clearance. Only worth a garbage can to me.

Isn't this a great opportunity to buy some to cut them open?

We need to find an oil filter company who will produce an empty can to screw on.

Don't give Purolator Mann&Hummel any ideas. They might just do it.
wink.gif

Corrected that for you. As Purolator US owner for 10 years, last 3 as sole owner, I like to give credit where credit is due.
wink.gif
M&H can add empty cans to their stellar US filter production resume'.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Corrected that for you. As Purolator US owner for 10 years, last 3 as sole owner, I like to give credit where credit is due.
wink.gif
whistle.gif

Maybe they can do that with the Wix XP. Instead of 50% at whatever microns it is, it could be 0%, and have all the flow one could ever need.

wink.gif
whistle.gif

Maybe they Mann&Humell can do that with the Wix XP. Instead of 50% at whatever microns it is, it could be 0%, and have all the flow one could ever need.

Just edited that again to make sure to give proper credit to each entry, since previous quote left off.

No need to touch the XP at this point as they seem to be doing a magnificent job already handling Wix louvered center tube now under M&H's complete purview.

You're really reaching now to dignify that vaunted German engineering the M&H has brought to the US. New slogan, Mann&Hummel, quality in every can.
whistle.gif

wink.gif
whistle.gif

Maybe they can do that with the Wix XP. Instead of 50% at whatever microns it is, it could be 0%, and have all the flow one could ever need.

Does WIX claim their XP meets OEM spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back