Teaching Math...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years of Math 1950 - 2010

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80.
What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80.
Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing
for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question:
How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?
(There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo dela producciones es $80.
Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

7. Teaching Math In 2010

Who cares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
JHZR2 - sorry missed that part of the joke... Apologies.

No worries, took care of it and I think it is still telling and good...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
It's all because we don't spend enough money on education. oops I forgot we spend more than any country one earth.

Yeah because you are not cool if you study math. You are far better off pretending that life is like a Disney channel show, you are going to become a rock, rap or sports star.

In AF tech training we were doing a module on parallel and series circuits when we were tasked with a resistance problem; the math ended up being 1 over (1 fiftieth) Not intuitive for everyone, but it should be for some. Most people were pecking away @ their calculators as I was saying "50"

Math is much easier to do when you understand what you are "actually doing" with the numbers. lol

It would also be easier if your country would just convert over to metric.
wink.gif

33.gif
It's so simple and would really please your trading partners who are on Metric already.

It's also a lot more precise.

StevieC: That is an excellent parable and right on the money. I'm sure that India and China still teach math the old fashioned way and it's no wonder they are bypassing us.
We have lowered the bar to the point of no return I fear.

We are low on the scores for Math & English like the U.S. but the U.S. is way lower and I think this is because we have had such a strong European influence.

33.gif
It's so simple and would really please your trading partners who are on Metric already.

It's also a lot more precise.

It was a joke. A fathom is 6 feet.

It would also be easier if your country would just convert over to metric.
wink.gif

We are going to go metric. I read so in a Popular Science magazine when I was a child . We will be going metric in the 1970s. (or so it said)

........I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters.....................

I think many of us forget what it was like to learn how to make change.

My first experince was over 40 years ago in a fast food restaurant - McDonalds-like, now out of business. I remember trying to do the math in my head, which of course took time. One of the "cooks" taught me the fast way to do it. After a while I didn't even have to think about it - I just did it.

I worked as a cashier for a few years. Only once did a customer attempt to give me an unusual amount of change as you've described. Funny thing is, he only gave me six and change for for a bill that was over eight dollars. When I corrected him, he first thought I was confused about why he was given me the amount he had. He was pretty embarassed when he realized he hadn't given me enough money.

I like when they give you more back that you gave them because they do the math wrong...

We have a big problem with this "new" generation of young-in's working at our stores up here... We have to have a basic math test on our application forms.

Then during training we tell them to enter exactly what the guest gave them and read the change from the POS system. If they want to round it to the next dollar by giving you change after the fact you just add it to the change amount the POS system is telling you.

You would be surprised how many "Deer in the headlight" looks I get.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back