TCW-2, use it or not?

I found a gallon of Evinrude branded two cycle oil that is rated TCW-2. I think I probably bought it in the mid-90s and just hid it from myself. Any reason not to use it in a modern (1997 or 2007) two cycle outboard?

I can't fully answer your question, but I do know that the tcw3 oils were stricter on the amount of ash allowed so the engines may carbon up faster with TCW2 oil. TCW specs are performance specifications so we can't even say for sure if that Evinrude TCW2 oil is all that different from TCW3 Evinrude oil without specs from Evinrude. Maybe you can find them?

I found a gallon of Evinrude branded two cycle oil that is rated TCW-2. I think I probably bought it in the mid-90s and just hid it from myself. Any reason not to use it in a modern (1997 or 2007) two cycle outboard?

As long as you don't plan on using it in something that's direct injected I'm sure you'll be fine.

Even though I wouldn't personally do it nor recommend it... OMC was recommending 100:1 mixtures in a lot of their outboards in the late 80's early 90's with this oil. So I'm sure you would be fine running this oil with reasonable mixtures.

Last edited:
Use it to start fires, or throw it out. As previously mentioned, TCW-3 is made for a cleaner burn, to reduce carbon fouling

Why not ?
because direct injected outboards like Evinrude Etec, mercury Optimax, yamaha Vmax HPDI's require a higher grade synthetic oil. Direct injected engines typically use less oil as well. TCW-2 oil doesn't meet those requirements, it was never intended to. I'm sure you would be fine in a pinch but not long term.

In contrast TCW-2 oil was what was recommended in 1992 and earlier outboards.

because direct injected outboards like Evinrude Etec, mercury Optimax, yamaha Vmax HPDI's require a higher grade synthetic oil. Direct injected engines typically use less oil as well. TCW-2 oil doesn't meet those requirements, it was never intended to. I'm sure you would be fine in a pinch but not long term.

In contrast TCW-2 oil was what was recommended in 1992 and earlier outboards.
If the engine requires tcw3, regardless of being injected or premix, it is not recommended to use tcw2. I understand that the injected engines definitely need tcw3, but running premix doesn’t mean it is more ok to use tcw2.

If the engine requires tcw3, regardless of being injected or premix, it is not recommended to use tcw2. I understand that the injected engines definitely need tcw3, but running premix doesn’t mean it is more ok to use tcw2.
You are getting confused between oil injection and direct fuel injection with the injector right in the head. (direct injection) Otherwise we both agreed about using the recommended oil but you missed my point where I mentioned 1992 and older outboards recommended TCW-2 Oil so there really isn't isn't a huge risk when using that oil.

The OP asked if it would be ok to use TCW-2 in his older outboards and I said it would be fine if they weren't DIRECT INJECTED outboards with reasonable mix ratio's, I never made any distinction between oil injected and premix engines because I think it is irrelevant. I stand by that statement, and you should look up the differences between oil injected and direct injected outboards.

You are getting confused between oil injection and direct fuel injection with the injector right in the head. (direct injection) Otherwise we both agreed about using the recommended oil but you missed my point where I mentioned 1992 and older outboards recommended TCW-2 Oil so there really isn't isn't a huge risk when using that oil.

The OP asked if it would be ok to use TCW-2 in his older outboards and I said it would be fine if they weren't DIRECT INJECTED outboards with reasonable mix ratio's, I never made any distinction between oil injected and premix engines because I think it is irrelevant. I stand by that statement, and you should look up the differences between oil injected and direct injected outboards.
I know the difference between direct fuel injected and oil injected, I thought you were talking about oil injected in the case.

At the end of the day, I would not use one gallon of tcw2 in any of these 1997/2007 outboards, direct fuel injected or not, oil injected or not, unless it was designed for it and you like scraping carbon.

Give it to someone with a diesel pickup. They can add it to the diesel fuel at 1 oz per gallon.

Have some QuickSilver 25W40 left from a boat I no longer have - figure I can use in 19 HP Briggs …
Doubt you can shear the stuff - Merc is anti VM - so it might be SAE40 in reality …

Think I would go up to Academy and get some fresh TCW-3 Quicksilver. Them outboards can be expensive to fix.

2 stroke boat engines (direct injection excepted) haven’t changed much if at all since that oil was made. Very simple engines with very basic needs. I’d use it if it wasn’t a nice looking jug. If it was decent to look at I’d probably plunk it on the garage shelf and let it be a talking piece in a few decades.

Don't want to take this thread sideways, but does anyone know when TC-W3 was created? I think I bought some in 1987?
Seems like about 1992. Apparently it was part of an effort to reduce the oil/gas ratio as the emissions issues were cropping up.

7196F4C0-24FB-4CC0-8613-548BFE719BAD.jpg

As long as you don't plan on using it in something that's direct injected I'm sure you'll be fine.

Even though I wouldn't personally do it nor recommend it... OMC was recommending 100:1 mixtures in a lot of their outboards in the late 80's early 90's with this oil. So I'm sure you would be fine running this oil with reasonable mixtures.
I have a 15 HP Evinrude engine circa 1988. I have the owner's manual somewhere, they recommended a 50:1 mix for break in, then switch over to 100:1, which fortunately I never did. Sometimes the engineers screw up. ;) Shortly after buying the engine I come to find from a local marina the guys running the 100:1 mix were blowing up engines, and IIRC they changed the spec to 50:1. I'm glad I thought out of the box. I still have the engine today. OP I'd use the oil up as a UCL in my cars to recycle it [flame suit on} and get TCW3 oil for the engine in question.

Back