Tar Remover

I have some hard tar on my Jeep that I can't get rid of. I'm looking for ideas, the standard bug & tar remover isn't workig. I need something like a solvent to melt it but I don't want to ruin the paint and clearcoat. Any ideas?

A clay bar will remove tar and other contaminants. I need to clean my lower panels of tar and other stuff as well. Turtle wax tar and bug remover in a spray can will help somewhat. I have found that you need to reapply several times to be reasonably effective.

Last edited:
I used to buy the store brand of BT remover from one parts place, but now I know why it was on clearance; it had faded the paint on the front tag (I hate those) of our Impala and I just had to get new plates to rectify the situation.

CJWink

Havent tried gas or diesel as yet. I'm thinking I'll try diesel fuel (kerosene) a I'm thinking it may be better for the paint than gas?

You need something that has a little dwell time but won't hurt the paint. Check out Stoner's Tarminator or 3M Tar and Grease remover. Both come in a spray version. Spray on, let it set for 30 seconds or so, then wipe off. As was said above, it might take a couple applications. I've used gasoline to remove crud from paint but you will need to wash and wax the area afterward. Have you tried WD40?

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
You need something that has a little dwell time but won't hurt the paint. Check out Stoner's Tarminator or 3M Tar and Grease remover. Both come in a spray version. Spray on, let it set for 30 seconds or so, then wipe off. As was said above, it might take a couple applications. I've used gasoline to remove crud from paint but you will need to wash and wax the area afterward. Have you tried WD40?
Good point, I used WD40 before and it worked well.

<b>Kerosene</b> should work well. It's used by the local Zebart restproofing shops to remove overspray when they undercoat cars.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Kerosene should work well. It's used by the local Zebart restproofing shops to remove overspray when they undercoat cars.
When I worked at a car wash when I was a teenager, we used kerosene. I'm not sure about it now with clear-coat finishes. Is it still okay?