Talk to me about late model Lexus. GX460s

Just to update this original question and what we ended up doing -

I held on to the 2019 Highlander until right before Thanksgiving. Carvana paid me what I paid for it when I bought it new.

We found a 2013 Lexus LX570 in mint condition, was taken to the dealer every 5k miles by the previous owner. The thing looks almost like new, inside, out, under the hood and undercarriage.

Since this OP, I was driving a 2012 Highlander for my daily commuter, I got rid of it, bought a 2015 Lexus RX350 in August to drive daily and it is in great shape.

I'm currently looking for a mid-2000's LX470 and possibly a later model GX460 to add to the stable. I thought the late model GX's had the 8-speed transmission, but I've learned they have the 6-speed, so I am good with that.

We have a 2011 GX460 it's been a really good vehicle so far. I do agree with others though, if I could have found a LX570 in the price range and condition of the GX I would have rather have had it. I don't think you give up much at all for mileage and gain a lot in room and comfort. The GX460 is a unique vehicle for sure, niche none like it really. I really like the Land Cruiser/LX570 platforms around here they cost so much used though

GX 460 has a 4.6L. Not a 5.7L

air injection pump stuff was over about 2012 or so.

people obsess over Toyota’s because when they do have problems, they usually issue repair campaigns and fix not only the cars on the road that might be 16 years old (frame campaign) but stuff that might be 3 years old. They fix production and offer to fix out of warranty stuff.

also, my Toyota’s that I’ve bought new have never been in a dealership service department. Tundra has 150k miles and the Highlander 30k now.

The two motors are virtually identical except for the stroke.

The two motors are virtually identical except for the stroke.
Yep, and the UR/GR engines aren’t as bulletproof as the UZ/MZ engines they replaced. As a matter of fact, the water inlet plate leak is common to both the UR and MZ engines. The GR V6s are a “dry” design but also have issues of their own.

Yep, and the UR/GR engines aren’t as bulletproof as the UZ/MZ engines they replaced. As a matter of fact, the water inlet plate leak is common to both the UR and MZ engines. The GR V6s are a “dry” design but also have issues of their own.
That's the reason we got such a good deal on our 2011 GX it had a valley plate leak, and a few other maintenance items I took care of. I had it fixed at a Toyota dealer it was about 3/4 what a Lexus dealer wanted to charge for the same work.

I have the earlier GX470 since 2005 and it has been completely reliable. It dependes on what your priorities are. If you want a vehicle that has off road adventuring capability, then the GX is the far superior vehicle as elsewhere in the world it is known as the Land Cruiser Prado. Otherwise, it is a heavy truck frame based vehicle that is not known for good gas mileage. If you want a grocery getter, its overkill. I have installed a 2" lift and put 33" tires on and I have driven trails that I would not think about taking a Highlander or my previous 2015 Lexus RX 350 F Sport on. I have also previously towed a 20' Boat with my GX and it was completely competent in that respect

That's the reason we got such a good deal on our 2011 GX it had a valley plate leak, and a few other maintenance items I took care of. I had it fixed at a Toyota dealer it was about 3/4 what a Lexus dealer wanted to charge for the same work.
I’ve done one on a Sienna(apples to oranges but it has a valley plate) and it’s not as bad as I thought. I help two people with Tundras care for them - I’m prepared to take this job on.

I’m convinced the OE Toyota pink coolant, while it does a job keeping the cooling system pristine is also hard on silicone and some elastomers. If I ever have to reseal the valley plates, I’ll be using Prestone Cor-Guard.

The inlet plate I pulled off the Sienna had a failed black FIPG bead. Also, there’s a thread on ClubLexus about the valley plate leaks in the IS F forums.
Are you able to provide a link to that thread? It would be most appreciated.

Anecdotal evidence suggested that most of Toyota's coolant leaks and water pump troubles happened after the switch to pink coolant in 03/04.
I'll look further into that ...

It's my understanding that the pink and the red coolants are one and the same, apart from the pink being diluted. I've not heard anything about problems with the red coolant, have you?

Are you able to provide a link to that thread? It would be most appreciated.

I'll look further into that ...

It's my understanding that the pink and the red coolants are one and the same, apart from the pink being diluted. I've not heard anything about problems with the red coolant, have you?
The pink coolant uses sebacic acid as the OAT component, alongside a dose of phosphate. Sebacate is also one of the two acids used in Dex-Cool.

The red coolant is using benzoate - the same OAT in G-05 and Zerex Asian formula. Toyota red is full strength, pink is a 50/50(55/45 in Canada) premix with DI water.

My feeling of why Toyota decided to do premix is maybe sebacate is more sensitive to oxygen(which is rumored to be why Dex-Cool degrades, but GM’s LS V8s and Ecotec 4/6s aren’t having the same issues on Dex, some have open coolant bottles) but pink was introduced with the 2nd gen Prius - and the hybrid inverter cooling system needed a “pure” coolant.

If you value getting through the apocalypse in style and security (and have a stash of fuel for said apocalypse) its a great choice.
(These are all things I care about)

So I looked at them long and hard.
On the other hand for the same price you can get a same year Nissan Armada, with is in the next size+capability class up, a much stronger V8 with 400 hp, instead of the GXs 301, same mpg, bigger body, modern headlights, equally comfy interior, more room, more payload more towing.

I drive the "poor mans GX460" which is a older generation Pathfinder. Mine has the 5.6L V8, 4x4, same size also leather also hi end stereo, also sunroof etc etc
But of course much less prestige (and a fraction of the price, while being significantly quicker with the bigger engine)

The GX460 is my favorite SUV. I like that it's "old" tech. To me this means solid build quality and reliability. Humans don't evolve as fast as cars.

Last edited:
I’ve done one on a Sienna(apples to oranges but it has a valley plate) and it’s not as bad as I thought. I help two people with Tundras care for them - I’m prepared to take this job on.

I’m convinced the OE Toyota pink coolant, while it does a job keeping the cooling system pristine is also hard on silicone and some elastomers. If I ever have to reseal the valley plates, I’ll be using Prestone Cor-Guard.
I think you are correct. If people would change it regulary it may not be as bad as it is, idk. Our GX had a lengthy maintenance history but no coolant change ever.

If you value getting through the apocalypse in style and security (and have a stash of fuel for said apocalypse) its a great choice.
(These are all things I care about)

So I looked at them long and hard.
On the other hand for the same price you can get a same year Nissan Armada, with is in the next size+capability class up, a much stronger V8 with 400 hp, instead of the GXs 301, same mpg, bigger body, modern headlights, equally comfy interior, more room, more payload more towing.

I drive the "poor mans GX460" which is a older generation Pathfinder. Mine has the 5.6L V8, 4x4, same size also leather also hi end stereo, also sunroof etc etc
But of course much less prestige (and a fraction of the price, while being significantly quicker with the bigger engine)
I like how you think.

If something happened to our 4Runner, you can bet I’d be looking hard at the new Armada.

Back