Taking a pass on 2013 S600 in my "backyard" flooded 2013

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
A 2013 Mercedes S600 V12 flood vehicle is being auction Wednesday 10 NOV 2021 at IAAI. This vehicle is just 30 minutes from my home, a very easy car to inspect prior to auction, and pickup. MSRP/ Sticker on this vehicle was likely over 165k.

Taking a pass as it has had three plus owners, and lived most if its life in the NYC area, and has 118k miles. If it was a single owner, 60k miles, and from a southern or western state, I would be doing a local inspection. Being from NYC, and all the challenges with servicing the hydraulic suspension and the twin turbo V12- simply going to pass.

Current bid is $7500, I speculate will sell between- $9-13k. The W221 an W222 s-classes had some declining prices at auction over the last few months, yet over the most recent few weeks, salvaged S-classes have become very pricey again. Seeing huge money paid for above dash flooded S-classes in NY and NJ at salvage auctions.

Last edited:
How many sane people would touch a flood vehicle ? Sure, you might get lucky but if you didn't, the issues just never seem to stop with these.
One has to define what a flood vehicle is. A car that is submerged in a river for three hours, and a car that had its sunroof open for three hours while it was raining, both are classified exactly the same "flood vehicle" yet the trauma each vehicle went through is very different.

I have rebuilt five Mercedes S-class flood vehicles, and all have been rock solid after the work was completed. Buying a flood vehicle from a "flipper" is likely a different long term outcome. I take my time and go through everything. A flipper typically does the minimal to make it saleable.

Sometimes I wonder if a one owner non-submerged flood vehicle is possibly a better choice than a clean title used car. A clean title used car may be in need of many things, a flood vehicle may be well maintained prior to the flood. The "fire" s-class I rebuilt with only 43k miles, had a $2500 brake job at a Mercedes dealer just one month before it was salvaged because of a external fire. That car didn't need a single thing- except repair of the fire damage. And I doubt it even needed brakes at 43k, just a wealthy senior citizen owner and a exploitive Mercedes service advisor.

Last edited:
Three owners? I imagine it was passed on to a new owner when it needed repairs. Neglected.

Hard pass.

The M275 will get by on basic mercedes oil changes, but the ABC and coils will eat you alive…

Reactions: JC1
I don't see how 3 owners on a 2013 vehicle would be an issue especially on a vehicle with a sticker price of over $165,000. I know absolutely nothing about flood vehicles or how to fix them. I wonder if it sells for nine to thirteen thousand maybe it would be worth it just for the parts? Find an easy fix rebuilder and use the flood car for parts. Sometimes people try to start these flood damaged cars and hydro-lock the engine and some unsuspecting action buyer gets stuck with a flood car and a blown engine. I think you made a wise decision by walking away from this godforsaken headache.

Had a nice '11 V12 for a few months that was a pleasant car, but got pretty anxious knowing even a basic repair visit to the dealer could cost thousands. Routine maintenance isn't too bad if you diy, or even at the dealer, but it's the unexpected repairs that get you. 24 spark plugs fyi. If I recall the 60K service is around $1200 which isn't too bad, but mine had receipts from the last owner with extended warranty showing the navi display was replaced for over $5,000. Ouch.

'13 is the last year of the old body so it would have to be cheap to be worthwhile when the '14 and up are worth much more when done.

Hydraulic suspension? Not air ride on an S class? Hmmm
The ABC hydraulic suspension is far superior to air ride.

It responds much more quickly, keeps the car level in turns without swaybars, compensates for load, eliminates squat and dive under braking and acceleration.

It makes a 2+ ton S Class out handle many sports cars. In an SL, it makes for an amazing blend of ride and handling.

Throw a twin turbo V-12 under the hood, with 600 lbft of torque, and you’ve got a car that really moves. In every sense of the word.

My Buddy bought a used BMW 750 Li twin turbo V8 for 11K. It is a AWD executive "Limo".
I told him he lucked out if it had under 120K miles bc BMW is on the hook for
engine repairs due to a class action lawsuit.
The dealer inspected the engine and declared it healthy. They did put a new battery in the trunk "gratis"
which is heavily taxed running electric water pumps and such during cool down. Sort of a factory "turbo timer"
So far so good I rode in the back it ws spacious and comfy. IT even had AC vent in the B pillar for the rear passengers
a;ng with dual zone HVAC and more.

This is a Hot "V" engine with backwards flowing heads - the exhaust blow into the V and the twin turbos are nestled in there.
That makes for a hot appliance.

Much less a German flood vehicle…..
Prior to S-classes, I use to rebuild Pontiac Bonneville flood vehicles. I prefer rebuilding a flooded W221 over GM G (actually H) platform.

Rebuilding a water damaged S-class is pretty clear cut.....

One has to define what a flood vehicle is. A car that is submerged in a river for three hours, and a car that had its sunroof open for three hours while it was raining, both are classified exactly the same "flood vehicle" yet the trauma each vehicle went through is very different.
So which scenario (or others) applies to this vehicle ? I'm going to say that you don't know nor does anyone else involved in the sale at this point, so you'd still take the chance that it's the "sunroof left open" one ?

So which scenario (or others) applies to this vehicle ? I'm going to say that you don't know nor does anyone else involved in the sale at this point, so you'd still take the chance that it's the "sunroof left open" one ?
You have a dash that works, no signs of foreign debris under the hood, and an interior that does not show signs of a high water level. Pictures were taken in October, so water may not of been sitting in the vehicle for an extended period of time.

My speculation- it is fall with leaves falling off of trees. A clogged drain full of leaves, twigs, an dirt- allowed water to flow from the firewall into the interior under the carpet.

Last edited:
The ABC hydraulic suspension is far superior to air ride.
Thanks for the explanation. After the first comment, I decided too do a quick Google search. As usual, I learned a LOT not even knowing that Mercedes had the ABC system. I also can feel for the OP's decision NOT to want to deal with it.
I mean, 2500 -3500 PSI is not something to trifle with. It also appears to be a nightmare to maintain. The slightest speck of dirt can cause all kinds of issues, and if the the pump EVER gets the first slug of air, IT'S TOAST!
When the dealership has to keep a special filling funnel LOCKED in a seperate box to avoid contamination I don't want to have any part of it in a flood vehicle!
I'll stick with my Airmatic, thank you!

Back