Tahoe oil change today

Changed oil in the old hammered 2005 Tahoe today.

Out went 5qts Rotella T4 15W-40 and 1qt of Motorcraft HDEO 10W-30 and a Wix 51522 filter. About 4,500 miles on this interval. In went 6qts of some 2020-era Traveller 15W-40 and an ACDelco PF46E filter. Found a couple of these Gen III e-cores in my stash. Should be fine, construction of them looks decent IMO.

The little odd-ball 4.8 is happy, random mild left head lifter noise from time to time but she still runs smooth. Truck is getting ever closer to 300k body miles -- I would assume before end of the year. Might have to go out for a nice steak dinner when the 'ole counter turns a "3".

Also have a spare 5.3 sitting doing much of nothing. The bigger, longer and heavier Suburban seems like a rocket ship compared to this thing. Might be a good winter project to assemble, re-gasket and put a 5.3 back in this pig.

Have a good evening folks.

IMG_0928.jpeg

Only thing is I question 15w40 going into winter. (not optimal)
of course you can always park it on cold days.
below 10f it might grunt quite abit.

Only thing is I question 15w40 going into winter. (not optimal)
of course you can always park it on cold days.
below 10f it might grunt quite abit.
I completely agree. I was somewhat on the fence about it. I will probably be though this OCI by early to mid-November. I'm gonna be doing a lot of driving October early November. Next OCI will most likely be some Delo Synthetic 5W-40.

I completely agree. I was somewhat on the fence about it. I will probably be though this OCI by early to mid-November. I'm gonna be doing a lot of driving October early November. Next OCI will most likely be some Delo Synthetic 5W-40.
If you were closer I’d give you few 2 gallon jugs of Providence All Fleet 10w30 SP rated oil

Back