Tacoma oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 4.0 Tacoma that I bought brand new as a 3rd vehicle but now it's my daily commuter. I average 20k miles a year and I do about 750 miles a year towing less then 2500 pounds. I do city driving but 80% of the time it is during off peak hours so very little stop and go. I am a highly conservative driver...rarely go above 2000 rpms and
I use cruise control at 65. I would like to do 10k OCI with Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and I only use OEM oil filters which I will still change at 5000 miles(v6 OCI as per Toyota). Should I go less because I tow and drive in the city? And should I send it out for a test at 7500 to make sure? It currently has 22k on it thanks...

Dont bother changing the filter at 5K miles. Just change it when you change the oil. I run Fram Ultra filters for 15k or 20K miles and they are perfect afterwards.

I PERSONALLY stick to 7500 mile changes on 6 cylinders, but 10K would likely be fine.

I have a tacoma too, but can't get my mind around 10k oci, just me, I know. I drive 10-20 miles a trip, several days a week, but only 6-7k a year, I do yearly oil changes with PPPP. If I did more miles a year, I'd do twice a year oil changes. That's fairly cheap, and plenty safe for my piece of mind.

I've been doing 7500-8000 mile changes on my 3.4L v6 2002 Tacoma. I have had it since new and I have almost 200,000 miles on it. I'm sure a 10K OCI would be fine. I'm doing 10K OCIs on my 2012 Highlander.

Originally Posted By: deven
Towing or not M1 5w30 EP will do 10k changes with ease.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Dont bother changing the filter at 5K miles. Just change it when you change the oil. I run Fram Ultra filters for 15k or 20K miles and they are perfect afterwards.

I PERSONALLY stick to 7500 mile changes on 6 cylinders, but 10K would likely be fine.

+1.....agree with the two post above.....except IMO...you should be able to do 10K OCI's with ease....with Mobil 1 5w30 EP.

Its also good advise to move to the Fram Ultra filter for the entire 10K OC. It will make life easier and simple to maintain your vehicle.

My '01 Taco has been on a 10k OCI since ~50k. Over 270K and counting. Been using regular M1 5w30 for the last 220k.

Extended Performance is fine but overkill for a 10k OCI. Fram Tought Guard is sufficient for 10k, Ultra great but probably overkill. Changing filter before oil is counterproductive. I see no benefit to the OEM filters, they are built well but very inefficient.

Originally Posted By: dew
Me too. Got my fingers crossed for 400k without any major issues.
I'll bet other than wear and tear items you will get at least real close!

Originally Posted By: Oey12
I have a 4.0 Tacoma that I bought brand new as a 3rd vehicle but now it's my daily commuter. I average 20k miles a year and I do about 750 miles a year towing less then 2500 pounds. I do city driving but 80% of the time it is during off peak hours so very little stop and go. I am a highly conservative driver...rarely go above 2000 rpms and
I use cruise control at 65. I would like to do 10k OCI with Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and I only use OEM oil filters which I will still change at 5000 miles(v6 OCI as per Toyota). Should I go less because I tow and drive in the city? And should I send it out for a test at 7500 to make sure? It currently has 22k on it thanks...

If its under warranty stick to 5000 mi OCI and I would use conventional for that interval.

For 10,000 mi OCI I would run standard Mobil 1 and send one UOA to confirm. I dont think you will need the EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back