Tach Install--2001 S-10 2.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I have a nice 0-6000 mini tach by AutoGauge that I want to install in my son's Chevy S-10 Pickup. I am told to either get the wire off the coil (coil pack?) or from behind the instrument cluster. I would go to the coil because usually that is easy to access, but this one is impossible. I don't know how GM puts a 4.3 V6 in these trucks because the 2.2 4-banger is already packed in very tight so you can't get at much. If I knew the right wire I might get one of those cheezy snap clip connectors on it, but that is sure to corrode and stop working after several years. No way to solder it in that location, can barely get one hand up to the coil from below and looks worse going from above.

Pulling out the gauge cluster seems like a big hassle too. I wonder if I can get a wire bundle going through the firewall and pick out the correct wire. Alternately, is there an induction pickup that just clamps onto a spark plug wire, like some of the old timing lights used to do?

What about the special tachometers that take signal off the alternator. Think they use them on diesels. Could I use that kind of tach?

think about this. get an electronic diagram to make a tach. that uses a beam to come off the engine. i have seen tons on the internet.

Is the ignition module any more accessible than the coil? That coil wire goes straight to the ign module.

Under the hood of my full size truck with the 4.3, the coil is up on top and very easily accessible. Even the Astro/Safaris have accessible coils.

Hm, that Summit part may be needed. I'll have to google the instructions and see what is involved. If it goes under hood, those cheezy connectors won't do. Had them corrode on my F150,, then the tach was getting weird readings. Thanks

I see a guide on the Sunpro site that says for the 1997-2001 Chevy S-10 you need that adapter and apparently it connects to the ignition module which is on top of the engine so it should be an easy install. And it should be no matter to hook up the AutoGauge instead of a Sunpro tach. Thanks

Was a Tach on option on that truck? the wiring may already be there. The harness is usually the same for everything from stripper to "delux".

Last edited:
If you have manual tranny a tach is useful, but why they are put on 4 dooor auto luxo sedans with auto shifters is beyond me. Cheap decoration for the dash? I'd rather have an amp meter. You can't even adjust the idle easliy on an OBDII system.

Pretty sure a tach could be optioned and there should be a lead behind the instrument panel. I am not one to want to pull instrument panels though. The $30 adapter from Sun Pro will do the trick anyway.

I am by no means a fan of automatic transmission, in fact I can't stand the things, but I still use the tach with the auto trannies I am stuck driving (wife's car, motorhome). I like to see how high it revs when I mat the pedal and stuff like that, or what it is turning on the freeway. But the tach is included with many automatics I think much for similar reason to that funky floor selector lever--it's to make folks feel like they are driving a sporty car. And it may well be a sporty car, but in my book it has to have a manual tranny to be truly a sporty car. Paddle shifter will not do either.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Excuse me? No adjustments to anything on OBDII.

Many Toyota products have a closed position stop screw on the throttle linkage. Kosher, no,

I researching it at the S10 forums, apparently the 2000+ S10 has a digital tach signal in the harness behind the instrument cluster and will make an analog tach dance. so will have to go with the adapter from SunPro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back