T, H, or V on RT43's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for new tires. I got 41k miles on my last set of General Altimax RT43 215/60R16 95V's on my 2007 Camry. That tread wear isn't bad, but I would have liked to get more out of them. Would dropping down to a T-speed set increase the life? I went with the V's because that is what the manual calls for, but I am willing to trade off some ride comfort for increased lifespan/safety. I drive a Camry... I don't need performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Maybe go with a different tire? Michelin Defender?

A local shop has a good deal on the RT43's and Continental PureContact LS'. I really liked how the General tires handled our crazy Maryland weather, so I guess a better question is does the speed rating really having an impact on the life of the tire, or just the construction? It is amazing the conflicting information I have come across on this subject. A 4-cylinder Camry should not require a 149MPH-rated tire, yet there are plenty of opinions stating don't go lower than what is manufacturer recommended.

I avoid T in regular tires (it's OK for dedicated snows) because the H has an extra cap ply for speed stability. It's not that you drive at high speed, but the H is simply a better made product over the T in a tire line.

You should first check with your dealer. Many will not install a different speed rating than recommended by the Manufacturer. I do not know the wear properties of the different speed ratings but I would check the individual tire ratings and warranty mileage.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I avoid T in regular tires (it's OK for dedicated snows) because the H has an extra cap ply for speed stability. It's not that you drive at high speed, but the H is simply a better made product over the T in a tire line.

I would be curious if out of round tires are less of an occurance in H, V, W etc. rated tires over S, T.

I've done T's for a while, despite V's coming with the car. IIRC for the RT43's T's were reputedly better in the snow. I think the tire shop didn't squawk about it when I ordered last time too, although I didn't double check on it.

I tend to only get 40k out of RT43's and attribute it to the roads we have. If you watch the forums here some people claim to get 100k out of tires. I guess it comes down to how often they turn and how hard they corner, and what the road surfaces are like. So, as they say, YMMV. [My last set of RT43's did go to 56k and were still like 3/32's.]

I don't know if Defenders are like Primacy but Primacy was awful in the snow while RT43 actually could manage light snow. It was the only all season that got better in snow as it wore out--both my wife and I noticed that. And RT43 lasted longer too. As always, YMMV.

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the trigger and just went with the RT43 V's again. At no point have I been disappointed with or felt in any way uncomfortable driving them, so I guess short of hitting their posted tread life that is about all that you can ask for from a tire. Between Maryland weather and the stop-and-go gridlock on our metropolitan roads, 41k is probably a decent number to hit.

I run RT43 H's on my MAZDA CX5 and very happy with them, especially during our rainy season. I get ~ 36,000 but, I drive many shell roads here in Cape Coral FL.

Originally Posted by bruckus
You should first check with your dealer. Many will not install a different speed rating than recommended by the Manufacturer. I do not know the wear properties of the different speed ratings but I would check the individual tire ratings and warranty mileage.

Not usually true. Winter tires are often a lower speed rating than the factory tires, and shops will always install them. What most tire dealers WILL NOT do is install a tire with a lower load index.

Our little 100 HP Mazda2 came stock with a 185/55/15 82V tire. This car has no need whatsoever for a V-speed rated tire. It currently has Continental Winter Contacts on it, which are H - rated. The newer Continental Viking 7's are actually a T-rated tire in this size.

After owning several Camry's, there is no doubt the V rated tires are a must have. That's how they make their soft riding cars handle much better than you think. They can blow right by a lot of stiff riding cars with good tires, and technique. Plus most importantly I've found they make the car track down the highway much better. The RT43 is kinda of a squishy tire when new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
I would be curious if out of round tires are less of an occurance in H, V, W etc. rated tires over S, T.

Nowadays, there isn't any difference in the speed ratings relatively to out of round. That's because everyone uses spiral cap plies. Before that, the higher the speed rating, the more likely a tire would be out of round.

[[Please note: This does not apply to flat spotting due to nylon cap plies. That problem is much more prevalent the higher the speed rating, but seems to be brand related - that is, some brands seem to have this problem much more than other brands. It has to do with how the nylon is processed by the manufacturer.]]

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Maybe go with a different tire? Michelin Defender?

For only $150.00 or $200.00 more........................

I have recently again installed(4 tires) the H rated RT43's on my sons Honda Civic and they had tread left on them at 60K miles. Probably would have made it to 75K miles, but I always change them out early. Winter traction is important here in Wi... The civic has 130K miles on it.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by zorobabel

Nowadays, there isn't any difference in the speed ratings relatively to out of round. That's because everyone uses spiral cap plies. Before that, the higher the speed rating, the more likely a tire would be out of round.

[[Please note: This does not apply to flat spotting due to nylon cap plies. That problem is much more prevalent the higher the speed rating, but seems to be brand related - that is, some brands seem to have this problem much more than other brands. It has to do with how the nylon is processed by the manufacturer.]]

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back