"System Error Warning" in Firefox - Crazy Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it detects the browser and the host OS. When I tried it off the VPN, I got the same website, not the warning of dire consequences.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
BTW, you originally said WikApedia. In your latest you said wikApedI. I tired that too and the website could not be found.

Scott

Yes, I corrected later down from my first post. It was the site Wikapedia.com (not the correct of wikipedia.org) that popped up the malicious website.

Maybe you have some software on your Mac that is blocking you from connecting with that site.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think it detects the browser and the host OS. When I tried it off the VPN, I got the same website, not the warning of dire consequences.

So off the VPN it did go to wikapedia.com site, but nothing popped up like I showed in my first post?

I have user agent switcher in my Chrome installation. I told my browser to say it's a Mac running Safari and I got a popup saying your Mac is infected with a virus, even though I'm not really running a Mac.

Probably because they didn't have a script for Linux.

Or it's random and they pick different responses from time to time....

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

So off the VPN it did go to wikapedia.com site, but nothing popped up like I showed in my first post?

Here one of the strings out of my Firefox history when this was going on. Note the parts in red.

....//stav-tr-1.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/system.html?os=Windows&browser=Firefox&isp=Qwest%20Communications%20Company%20Llc&ip= ....

It's amazing what your browser and IP address tells about you.

It's also amazing what a whois search of wikapedia.com gives up:

Quote:

Domain Name: wikapedia.com
Registry Domain ID: 2002210300_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.eunamesoregon.com
Registrar URL: http://eunamesoregon.com
Updated Date: 2016-02-16T06:27:20Z
Creation Date: 2016-02-12T19:03:08Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-02-12T19:03:08Z
Registrar: EunamesOregon.com LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 1204
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8773812449
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Tim Wai
Registrant Organization: Windgather Investments
Registrant Street: P.O. Box 1491
Registrant City: St Johns
Registrant State/Province: ANTIGUA
Registrant Postal Code: NA
Registrant Country: AG
Registrant Phone: +1.6622608816
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext.:
Registrant Email:
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Tim Wai
Admin Organization: Windgather Investments
Admin Street: P.O. Box 1491
Admin City: St Johns
Admin State/Province: ANTIGUA
Admin Postal Code: NA
Admin Country: AG
Admin Phone: +1.6622608816
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext.:
Admin Email:
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Tim Wai
Tech Organization: Windgather Investments
Tech Street: P.O. Box 1491
Tech City: St Johns
Tech State/Province: ANTIGUA
Tech Postal Code: NA
Tech Country: AG
Tech Phone: +1.6622608816
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext.:
Tech Email:
Name Server: ns2.above.com
Name Server: ns1.above.com
DNSSEC: Unsigned
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/

I almost always go to websites by first typing the name into Bing (for the rewards points) or Google, then going to the link from the search results. Both search engines will generally indicate which are the official versions of sites and help you to avoid malicious sites.

Last edited:
wikapedia.com is a bad site

wikapedia.com
Status: Site Potentially Harmful. Immediate Action is Required.
Web Trust: Blacklisted (10 Blacklists Checked): Indicates that a major security company (such as Google, McAfee, Norton, etc) is blocking access to your website for security reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back