"System Error Warning" in Firefox - Crazy Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
So what I believe happened is I wanted to go to Wikipedia's website, and I typed it in Firefox address window as .com instead of .org, which is what it really is.

Firefox opens up a new browser tab and this is what popped up along with audio beeping and a female voice saying your system could be infected and to call the toll free number immediately for assistance. No phone number was actually listed - it's blank in the shot below. I recall this happening to me before (maybe 1 month or so ago), but not sure if it was launched from the same .com instead of .org on Wikipedia internet address.

Scared the [censored] out of me and I hit print screen and closed the tab ASAP. Shut down Firefox and did a full scan with Malwarebyes Anti Malware and also a full scan with Bitdefender Free. Nothing showed up.

Here's a screen shot of the Firefox browser tab and also of the Firefox history when this happened. Notice all the other strange stuff in the history.

Any idea if this was an attempt for malware to load on my machine or what? Again, nothing shows up with full scans of anti-malware and anti-virus software, and nothing was caught or warned in real time from Malwarebytes or Bitdefender in real time - they do protect in real time also (I have the PRO full license of Malwarebytes).

Originally Posted By: urrlord
it's garbage,run spybot s&d if u are worried and a full virus deep scan,good luck.

What's garbage?

Is there a free version of Spybot Search & Destroy? I'll go Google search for a safe download ... if that's possible.

Is this the official Spybot website?
https://www.safer-networking.org/

On my last system I used to get that [censored] all the time. Trojans to the left and right at all times. And they want you to hit "fix me" so they can load up their stuff on your computer. I use Adaware blocker now and don't ever see that stuff now. It could be that between Firefox, Adaware, and my anti-virus program is working good to keep that stuff out.

I used to get BSOD's quite frequently. And most of them were hardware related (such as a RAM card failing). You'll literally get a blank Blue Screen (of death) when she locks up hard. So it doesn't look like you got a BSOD. It's been a few years since I dug down deep into my Registry and looked for stuff out of place or programs/files that don't belong. There are some on-line programs to help you figure out how to do that. I would look for the load dates and if they were past my initial program loads, I would usually delete them if I had no idea what they did.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
On my last system I used to get that [censored] all the time. Trojans to the left and right at all times. And they want you to hit "fix me" so they can load up their stuff on your computer. I use Adaware blocker now and don't ever see that stuff now. It could be that between Firefox, Adaware, and my anti-virus program is working good to keep that stuff out.

I used to get BSOD's quite frequently. And most of them were hardware related (such as a RAM card failing). You'll literally get a blank Blue Screen (of death) when she locks up hard. So it doesn't look like you got a BSOD.

I'm using Awdare Blocker Plus in Firefox. There was no link to click in the Firefox screen I got ... but there was this beeping and female voice saying to call the phone number, but the place for the number was blank on the screen (see screen shot).

This launched when a new tab opened up in Firefox ... it wasn't an ad pop-up type of thing.

Certificate . Copy and paste site and send it to mozilla or google or ms and they ll look if its just an old certs issue (Warning this is ssl2.Ssl3 Cert please upgrade blblabla. In thw off chance it is a valid pirate cert of google.com or whatever (Odds are high)Report it . And they ll fix things so that cert isnt gona have the capability to do arm (If it could.doubtfull)

i meant it looks like an attempt to mal or ransom your computer.But it did not lock your system up.So it is likely garbage and not very effective garbage.

There is a free home version of Spybot Search and destroy they just hide it a bit,usually not on the front page of the site you have to poke around a bit.Some one else mentioned ad aware...thats good stuff also.

Kaspersky have a version that can be put into a bootable CD.

Then you can boot from it, update the definition and scan the system without booting into Windows.

You can google for it.

I hope you have another computer to do this or borrow or go to your friend.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I just typed in Wikipedia.COM using Firefox on my Mac and I was automatically redirected to Wikipedia.ORG

FWIW,

Scott

Thanks for the test on your end.

Note in my history is was actually spelled "Wikapedia.com".

Are you brave enough to try that? Sorry for the confusion.

Scareware. I got that yesterday, and could not get out of it. Finally did a full restore and reimported favorites, pics and documents. PITA, but hey, it's the interwebs. No matter waht you do, or where you go, trouble is going to find you. Freakin hackers ought to stick to cracking iPhone security....

That is a fake BSOD to scare you into a scam. If the window pops up and won't close try closing it with task manager or just hard shutdown the computer and boot into safemode with networking. Install Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and give it a full scan to make sure it was just the web page and not something installed on your computer.

Tried it on my VirtualBox Linux machine. I was on the company VPN, so their filters flagged it as follows:

wikapedia-site_zpskajw7fxs.jpeg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I just typed in Wikipedia.COM using Firefox on my Mac and I was automatically redirected to Wikipedia.ORG

FWIW,

Scott

^^^ javacontour - thanks for that info. So looks like it's an obvious nasty website to avoid.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
That is a fake BSOD to scare you into a scam. If the window pops up and won't close try closing it with task manager or just hard shutdown the computer and boot into safemode with networking. Install Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and give it a full scan to make sure it was just the web page and not something installed on your computer.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Scareware. I got that yesterday, and could not get out of it. Finally did a full restore and reimported favorites, pics and documents.

When the Firefox tab loaded and that screen I posted a snap-shot of came up, I was able to just close down the tab and it went away. So I'm not sure if it actually loaded anything on my machine - I don't think so. Like I said, I did full scans with Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and nothing came up. Maybe I'll download and also try SuperAntiSpyware as you suggested.

Anyone else have some suggestions on what can be done to ensure nothing got loaded on my computer? It seems to acting normal. Maybe some of my AV software did help protect in real time, but I never saw any messages saying so.

One other thing to note. After all the scanning, I opened up Firefox again and got 2 or 3 instances of this pop-up from Firefox. I never saw this when the scareware popped up.

I then ran a full scan of Bitdefender again and it said it removed some things, but the free edition never gives you details of what if found and fixed. Haven't seen this pop-up message since.

Just posting some undated information. I downloaded both SpyBot Search & Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware, and ran them both. Spybot found some stuff, but I didn't like what it seemed to be associated with (registry entries, etc), so didn't have it delete some stuff - only stuff that looked safe to delete. Think Spybot is probably too aggressive and wanted to delete some stuff that might not be a good idea. I ended up uninstalling Spybot after using it - seems too complicated unless you really know what to allow it to delete. SuperAntiSpyware was ran after Spybot and only found an add-on browser tool bar and a bunch of tracking cookies. Nothing major. Left SAS on, as it seems much more user friendly and more up to date with revisions and updates than Spybot.

I also emailed Malwarebytes with the information about what happened when I mistakenly got that malicious website as I described above. Sent then the screen shots also.

This was their response:
Welcome to Malwarebytes support, my name is Julia and I’ll be assisting you today. This is typically adware in the browser that loads when you reach a compromised page (as you did with the mispelled page). I have reported the misspelled page to our malware intelligence department. Clearing the browser history resolves this as it’s not typically anything that installs on the PC. If you have any other symptoms that might indicate you are infected, please let me know and we can run a diagnostic scan.

Regards
Julia

FWIW,

Scott

No problem. I tried Wikipadia.com and got a "Wikipadia.com" website with a list of various related links and a privacy policy, all nicely formatted. Looks harmless enough to me but I don't trust websites named similarity like this. Regardless, my Mac did not get the apparent threat that you got on your PC.

Scott

No problem. I tried Wikipadia.com and got a "Wikipadia.com" website with a list of various related links and a privacy policy ...
Scott

But did you spell it Wikapedi.com ? Type it directly into your browser's address window.

No problem. I tried Wikipadia.com and got a "Wikipadia.com" website with a list of various related links and a privacy policy ...
Scott

But did you spell it Wikapedi.com ? Type it directly into your browser's address window.

That is exactly what I did. WikApedia.com in my Mac/Firefox browser window. No problem.

BTW, you originally said WikApedia. In your latest you said wikApedI. I tired that too and the website could not be found.

Scott

BTW, you originally said WikApedia. In your latest you said wikApedI. I tired that too and the website could not be found.

Scott

Yes, I corrected later down from my first post. It was the site Wikapedia.com (not the correct of wikipedia.org) that popped up the malicious website.

Maybe you have some software on your Mac that is blocking you from connecting with that site.

Also see javacontour's post above and the Oracle warning message when he went there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back