Synwax, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how long it's been on the market but I just noticed it at Walmart the other night. Is this stuff any good?

Are you talking about the Mother's product. If so,it is a decent product. A bit overpriced in my opinion. Duragloss total protection polish is better. Mailorder, and may be at Nappa and I think Carquest?

It's available at Carquest......never seen it at Napa. Russell -- the Carquest in Southland and off Versailles Rd usually keeps a good stock of Duragloss. They have an outstanding product line.

So far, so good. For durability, I prefer 3M, but for ease of use it's good stuff.

Wax2.jpg

Wax3.jpg

I like Mothers FX Synwax. The shine is nice and glossy, durability is comparable to similar products. I don't know about the other guys but I've found pricing is a bit lower than comparable Meguiars product.

Duragloss is a good product but availability is spotty at best. Most Carquests I go to only have a few Duragloss products in stock and many of them have been on the shelves for a long time. NAPA used to stock Duragloss but they don't seem to any longer.

For about $10 Synwax is a good value. Give it a try.

Quote:

I like Mothers FX Synwax. The shine is nice and glossy, durability is comparable to similar products. I don't know about the other guys but I've found pricing is a bit lower than comparable Meguiars product.

Duragloss is a good product but availability is spotty at best. Most Carquests I go to only have a few Duragloss products in stock and many of them have been on the shelves for a long time. NAPA used to stock Duragloss but they don't seem to any longer.

For about $10 Synwax is a good value. Give it a try.

I'm a recent Duragloss convert, and am very impressed with the stuff. As far as availability, what you say about Carquest is true (however the Aquawax is/was on sale for $4.99). I ordered from their website, they have very reasonable prices and shipping is a flat $4.95. Considering sales tax, my time, and the cost of fuel, this may actually be more economical than driving to a parts store. I had my order two days after I placed it.

FYI - The PBA+TPP combination yields great results.

In the interest of properly organizing the forum, here is the other Synwax thread.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post589008

Ok, well I got tired of looking for Rejex and my other poly sealants were boring me and running out, so I grabbed the Mother's Synwax.

I used it on our 9 year old now-scratchy blue CRV. I scratched it up good with some Rain-X applied in too hot conditions, so I buffed with my vibrator thing and some $2 Kit Scratch/Polish stuff.
Wow, hard to say how much was buffing/polishing and how much was the Synwax, but the effort was 1 million times worthwhile. The panels look like slabs of melting ice. Really nice. The Synwax was easy to use, maybe partly because the paint was smooth, but I am TOTALLY pleased.
fwiw, I'm not an expert on waxes, I have only used a few, inc #26, NXT, 1Z Glanz. Not expert enough to descrive the "look" but know enough to say of it looks good or not.
The $2 Kit polish was a nice surprise too.
Also, people say not to waste time polishing w/o a Porter Cable or whatever, but it DID with with my orbital B S.

I've had a chance to use it on the new flat red Accord. It is really nice stuff, VERY easy to use with a result that is better than I've been getting with ANY other wax. This especially considering the minimal effort required. It was worth posting about it again.

I'm very pleased with the results I've had from 2 different vehicles (1 black).

I did a partial wax on this 40f day. No roof or bumpers. Anyway, super-easy....maybe the easiest wax ever and a great result. Easy waxing is best for the OCD guy who is going to wax 10 times over the year rather then hard-to-use products that might last longer. I ahve a few other waxes sitting here, inc 1Z Glanz and am using just the SynWax.

I agree. Synwax is good stuff. Easy on, easy off, with a nice shine. However, I actually prefer Reflections... depending on the color. Now that I've tried NXT 2.0, I prefer it to both the Mothers products, as far as looks and durability.

Come spring, I'm going to prep the paint well, apply NXT 2.0, and top it with Reflections Top Coat. I plan on keeping it maintained with the new Optimum Spray Wax... if it's everything I've heard it to be.
grin2.gif

I also agree that Duragloss is just as nice, and is more durable than the Mothers products.

Lot's of good choices.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
i really like synwax. easy on, easy off. i had put some on my dark blue car, got distracted by the neighbor for an hour or so, then buffed it right off (hot, humid sunny day). the bottle top sucks, but that's a minor issue.

i think it looks a bit better on lighter cars, but that's a matter of preference.

another product with similar application characteristics is meguiars gold class. i think it looks better on dark cars, but the longevity isn't as good as synwax.

I'm am still very pleased with the synwax. One car that I put it on was garage kept 50% of the time. The shine on that car is still completely awesome. I also applied it to a black 06 VUE. The wax takes a little more work on black (what wax doesn't on black) but I'm very pleased with the shine when that vehicle is clean. I'll probably rewax both cars in the next few weeks as I typically wax all my vehicles every six months.

I don't own a buffer or go wax crazy but this is my new favorite wax. I rate my waxes by the following in this specific order. shine, UV protection, ease of application, longevity. Won't truly be able to tell about the UV protection for a long time but in the other categories as an over the counter product synwax is top notch.

I'm using #26 on the sides of the car and SynWax on the hood, roof and trunk. Man that stuff is easy to apply. Works nice. I'm on my 2nd bottle now and I don't waste wax as I go.

Check out the autopia car care website. They have a forum with reviews. The consensus is that Synwax is a good product. When I detail I use the same wax all over and if I have time top it off. Just a suggestion if you want to get your car real shiny and if it has dark paint, make the paint glow, follow these steps. Wash, clay, re-wash, polish, then use the #26, and top it off with the syn-wax. This should give you optimum paint depth, with good length of time that it will bead water and last. Hope this helps

Just put another coat of synwax on my garage car. I used 3m 39006 on the hood and side view mirrors. That stuff is great but HORRIBLE to remove. I did the remainder of the car in synwax. In all seriousness... I think the remaining entire car took less time to do with synwax then the other parts with 3m. Synwax is still my favorite. Every 6 months, easy on easy off. Too bad this stuff doesn't seem to be on the market any more.

Synwax is available at Pep Boys. Walmart stopped carrying it and you can order it from a number of online places.

After waxing my wifes Vue this weekend I finally used up my original bottle of synwax. This is easiest wax to apply and I have to say I'm very happy with the results especially living in sunny Fl. This Vue is an 06 and my other vehicle is 99. I'd say both are mint. Also going to say now after years of use that the UV protection of synwax is top notch. Ordered a replacement bottle of synwax from amazon.

DSCF1539.jpg

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
After waxing my wifes Vue this weekend I finally used up my original bottle of synwax. This is easiest wax to apply and I have to say I'm very happy with the results especially living in sunny Fl. This Vue is an 06 and my other vehicle is 99. I'd say both are mint. Also going to say now after years of use that the UV protection of synwax is top notch. Ordered a replacement bottle of synwax from amazon.

DSCF1539.jpg

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

Looks great!

Probably looks better than the day it came off the showroom floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back