Synthetics and sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any conventional oils on the market that combat sludge like most of the synthetics? Is Castrol GTX or Pennzoil YB falsely advertising that their respective oils keep my engine clean? I have read many articles online about many different engines by different car makers, some run very clean, some sludge up. There are many websites that state dino oil sludge problems still exist. How do I find out if my engine is a sludge maker? Its a Hyundai Veracruz 3.8L V-6. Which dino oil is better at keeping my engine clean. We plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time.

ANY SL or SM dino oil will have a properly balanced add-pack that will keep your engine clean and running well on 5-6k OCI's, or by OLM interval, whichever your vehicle has.

Hyundai engines aren't known to be 'sludgers'. They are not that hard at all on oil. Just pick whatever dino you can get on sale, and change it by whatever interval your owners manual specifies - that is the important part; you want to follow the manufacturer-specified intervals to keep your warranty intact.

The only point I'd add is to keep your PCV valve clean if it is serviceable. A clogged or sticking PCV can adversely affect oil quality rather quickly, regardless of that oil being synthetic or conventional.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
ANY SL or SM dino oil will have a properly balanced add-pack that will keep your engine clean and running well on 5-6k OCI's, or by OLM interval, whichever your vehicle has.

Hyundai engines aren't known to be 'sludgers'. They are not that hard at all on oil. Just pick whatever dino you can get on sale, and change it by whatever interval your owners manual specifies - that is the important part; you want to follow the manufacturer-specified intervals to keep your warranty intact.

Originally Posted By: Roger
The only point I'd add is to keep your PCV valve clean if it is serviceable. A clogged or sticking PCV can adversely affect oil quality rather quickly, regardless of that oil being synthetic or conventional.

As a Hyundai fan myself, this is some great advice as mentioned by the guys above!

I personally use Synthetic in my Hyundai, but this is because I have a brutally cold winter to contend with. You should be fine in VA with dino!
thumbsup2.gif

Also I would replace the PCV on a regular interval of 30-50K Miles with one from the dealer (OEM). I have read on Hyundai Forums that these engines are very fussy if the OEM PCV isn't used.

Nice SUV, should return lots of miles to you... If you ever need Hyundai Service advice let me know, I have access to dealership schematics and information through a friend at a local dealership.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Originally Posted By: Roger

As a Hyundai fan myself, this is some great advice as mentioned by the guys above!

I personally use Synthetic in my Hyundai, but this is because I have a brutally cold winter to contend with. You should be fine in VA with dino!
thumbsup2.gif

Also I would replace the PCV on a regular interval of 30-50K Miles with one from the dealer (OEM). I have read on Hyundai Forums that these engines are very fussy if the OEM PCV isn't used.

Nice SUV, should return lots of miles to you... If you ever need Hyundai Service advice let me know, I have access to dealership schematics and information through a friend at a local dealership.

cheers3.gif

I really appreciate the input from everyone. Thanks StevieC for the offer. I may take you up on the schematics. I'm a very hands on do it myself kind of guy.

Sludge prone engines are few and far between when you think of all the engines that have been produced. You won't know if you have one until years later when all the complaints come streaming in if there was an issue.

Most oils today are good at preventing sludging. Syn oil gives added protection against it because they are a purer product, resist heat/oxidation better and usually have a stronger additive package.

I would say that Pennzoil YB does have a good add pack for a Dino Oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back