Synthetic vs. Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ski does not require synthetic oil but I've found the spark plugs last much much longer if I use it. I save enough in plugs to more than offset the higher cost of the oil. Performance is better in the sense that the plugs don't foul.

Quote:

My ski does not require synthetic oil but I've found the spark plugs last much much longer if I use it. I save enough in plugs to more than offset the higher cost of the oil. Performance is better in the sense that the plugs don't foul.

Sounds like you have other issue's Jonny if you replace that many plugs. I replace mine once a year and at $2.00 each (BR8ES), that's not much.

Pablo, perhaps you could shed a little light on the pro's and con's of using syn vs. dino... No marketing hype please.

ragged, what 2 stroke oil you currently using?

Im switching over from my pennzoil syn blend(premium plus) to pennzoil 100% synthetic for a bit to see if it runs any cleaner. It was only 12 bucks more(24 bucks) but most on here claim it to be a cleaner 2 stroke oil than the premium plus.

I had a business building race and modified PWC engines. I have experience with many types of oils in PWC and outboard engines. In addition, I was involved in oil ratio testing years ago.

I truly believe in certain synthetics, if only for the additional reliability provided by reduced ring sticking.

As you might guess a stuck ring will ruin your day and your piston/bore right away, due to rapid expansion of the piston.

While rates of wear might be similar, that all changes when a stuck ring occurs. The money saved on oil simply vanishes when the day is ruined.

Now, you might not have any problems with your particular situation and the oils you use. But so many people don't take the engines apart often enough and use substandard oil.

Chris

Chris

HondaGuy,

I ues to run Tech2000 from Wally at $6 per gallon. I had a stroker motor 750 and I never had a engine failure. to my knowledge, the due that bought it from me is still going strong with it. It must have 500hrs at least. My SXR, I now run Chevron which I got at Costco. It was mis-marked and I got 5 cases of it. It was $4.95 per case! I use to run Chevron back when in my 650. I have thought about the Pennzoil Syn when I'm done with the Chevron just to try it. Again, the very limited benefit of running a designer oil such as Amsoil or Maxima or Klotz doesn't seem to merrit that $40-65 dollar per gallon.

well, Im going to run the pennzoil 100% synthetic from now on. It burns cleaner than the premium plus, and its only around 20 bucks a gallon from wally world.

I only go through 2-3 gallons a year, so for 30-40 extra a year, it won't bother me.

Quote:

well, Im going to run the pennzoil 100% synthetic from now on. It burns cleaner than the premium plus, and its only around 20 bucks a gallon from wally world.

I only go through 2-3 gallons a year, so for 30-40 extra a year, it won't bother me.

everytime I go to wal mart to look at the 100% Penzzoil syn 2 stroke marine oil, on the back of the bottle it says Caution: contains petrolium lubricants/disilattes.
what does your bottle say? I saw this on the one gallon bottles
crazy.gif

100% or FULL are just marketing lingo, almost all synthetic oils contain some petroleum in the blend. Penz 100% syn tcw3 has changed in the last year or so from what it used to be. (wore an itasca, qstate, then penz label for many years FWIW). The old msds read like "real" synthetic, the new product might make one wonder. I got quite accustom to the old products smell and smoke riding with (behind) guys who ran it in their sleds. It was quite obvious when they made the change, it stinks more like conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back