synthetic vs. dino with bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure all this out, kind of slow sometimes!!

Okay, what I am trying to determine is if I run a full bypass system and use regular 15W40 oil would I achieve similar benefits to running a synthetic on extended OCI changing the FF every 6 months per amsoil's directions?

ralph wood belives so ..I have ran 5-6 analysis of a bypass and Mobile 1 ..am now running Penzzoil Lon Life ( dino) ..I just need to run an analysis to see how well it works in comparison.

well I will be interested to what your results are. I am still trying to decipher the difference between the spin on filters and their capabilities vice the TP method.

quote:

Originally posted by flynavydiesel:
I am trying to figure all this out, kind of slow sometimes!!

Okay, what I am trying to determine is if I run a full bypass system and use regular 15W40 oil would I achieve similar benefits to running a synthetic on extended OCI changing the FF every 6 months per amsoil's directions?

The by-pass filter will remove contaminants, and wear causing particles. But, you won't see any of the fuel economy savings. Also high/low temp benifits won't be there as well.

Overall, I can see that you would be able to extend your interval with by-pass filtration even using a conventional basestock, will you be able to go as long on those extended drains is the question??

I'll be excited to see your results. Please post you analysis if you can.

Removing the wear causing particles (>3 microns) and moisture generated from short trips is the benefit of bypass filtration IMHO. I would imagine that a petroleum oil would indeed last longer under these conditions.
I suspect that bypass filtered dino would provide better results than extended OCI synthetic without bypass filtertration (is that the comparison in question?).
My concern was weather the expense of synthetic oil and bypass (TP) was going to be too expensive as compared to Dino and bypass (TP). I'm not in the game to pinch pennies, so I went with synthetic and TP bypass filtration! Now what I want to do is have an oil sample tested for particulate matter (particle count?).

I suspect that bypass filtered dino would provide better results than extended OCI synthetic without bypass filtertration (is that the comparison in question?).

RJ, that is the exact question I am trying to answer. I will be definitely interested in seeing what your results are.

I like the ability of syn to handle extremes, as I tow with my truck. But, tons of others run straight dino towing and have had excellent results. I firmly believe in extended OCI's, why waste all that oil if it can go the distance. Question is which provides the best bang for the buck? Syn with bypass? or dino with bypass? Then of course I have to figure out which one to use!!!!

msparks, provided me some info awhile ago on bypass systems and it has taken me awhile to pour over all the info out there. I have no clue what I am going to do
dunno.gif

It would take someone a lot smarter than I am to measure the difference between clean synthetic and clean conventional oil. I use Chevron Delo 15-40 in the equipment at work. We trade off the over the road trucks at about 2 milion miles. I don't have filters on the over the road trucks. That is a corporate budget. I do the fork lifts, yard tractors and other local stuff. The only synthetic oil we use is for compressors. It is about 60 dollars a gallon. The lift trucks are interesting. They are propane and you can see the contamination clearly in the TP. It is similar to ATF. The big 100 HP Gardner Denver air compressor was a cinch. I bolted the Motor Guard to the top of the standard full flow and used the pressure drop of 3 PSI to feed the Motor Guard. The weakness of the old multigrade oils was the oil could last for extended drains but the additives couldn't. For sure you didn't use multigrade oils in a diesel engine. It took me awhile to accept the multgrades. I hung on to single wt Delo for 30 years.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back