Synthetic Tranny Oil for 2003 Ford Ranger?

Mercon V is synthetic and specified. My preference is Valvoline or Supertech as they're probably going to be the easiest to find and cheapest.

Can't get Redline? Hmm... Will have to look for threads about the supply problem.

If you want another real premium brand, there's always Amsoil. I'll get tomatoes thrown at me for saying this, but I look at Redline and Amsoil as being equally good choices for premium lubes. Have used both and was happy with both.

Switched to Amsoil ATF in a well-maintained 1998 Ford Taurus wagon that I bought in 2007. It had 100,000 miles when I bought it. I installed a drain plug after a full fluid and filter change and drained and refilled what was in the pan every 20,000 miles or so. When the engine overheated and cracked the head or block several years later at 220,000 miles, the car still had the original transmission, going strong, and that was a tranny with a bad reputation in earlier model years. Didn't have the money to spare for another engine, so I had to send the car to the knackers.

I'm sure either brand of ATF, Redline or Amsoil, would have worked well, but Preferred Customer status got me a good deal on the Amsoil.

For mercon v synthetic I would rock the amsoil oe or signature higher viscosity formula. Just slap buyers club on there for the discount and order enough for free shipping.

I realize RP is the black sheep of BITOG (right next to Lucas) but I used their Max ATF in a Ford that required Merc V a few years back and found it to be excellent. I don't know how it compares to others, as this was the only trans change I did in that car.

I never understand why someone who has a quality approved OEM ATF readily available and at a good price would want something comparable. If it takes Mercon V, then use it. Supertech has it for under $5 per qrt.

changed it once before & used Redline but they are having supply issues.

what's a comparable brand please?

03 Ford Ranger 6 cyl RWD 3L gas engine

Thanks!
Try to source Redline from an Ebay seller. Last MT90 I got CHEAP plus free shipping from an Ebay hot rod shop.

Mercon V is synthetic and specified. My preference is Valvoline or Supertech as they're probably going to be the easiest to find and cheapest.
No. I could only find conventional ATF that had the licensed Mercon V. Semi-synthetic some places, but never a synthetic. I pretty sure Maxlife will work. Synthetic ATF just hold up better.

I realize RP is the black sheep of BITOG (right next to Lucas) but I used their Max ATF in a Ford that required Merc V a few years back and found it to be excellent. I don't know how it compares to others, as this was the only trans change I did in that car.

I don't think RP is equated to Lucas on BITOG

RP makes a line of products with reasonable performance, and some with apparently excellent performance; people just don't think they are a good value.

Lucas has a few "I won't use that stuff in anything " products.

Full disclosure; I am using Synchromax in my Mazda 5sp MT; i certainly would purchase it again.

No. I could only find conventional ATF that had the licensed Mercon V. Semi-synthetic some places, but never a synthetic. I pretty sure Maxlife will work. Synthetic ATF just hold up better.
I apologize I thought all Mercon V was full synthetic.

Mobil 1's Synthetic ATF works for Mercon V, but it'll cost you $12 a quart.

what's a comparable brand please?
Most of the Synthetic ATF fluids (recommended here) are too thin for Mercon V specifications, they are labeled as "LV".
Notable exceptions is AMSOIL that has both variants of ATF in synth form.

On my three previous Fords (two Mercury Sable and one Ford Explorer) I always used Castrol Mercon V, flushed and filters changed at 30-50k miles (3-5 years), and never had problems. Cars rusted or got totaled at about 200k miles but transmissions were still fine. The Mercon V doesn't get dark in that interval, like the Asian fluids do.

If the temperature of the transmission is so high that would REQUIRE synthetic, you have bigger problems. Seals will die at high temperatures, regardless if fluid will "hold". On my Explorer I had a factory installed aux transmission cooler (tow package).

Last edited:
Since Mercon V is mostly conventional, it will thin out quicker. Older transmissions will tend to have tolerance of at wider viscosity range than newer transmission. While LV is lower viscosity than V, LV will maintain a narrower viscosity range more so than V. Because of that, LV is still often within the allowable viscosity range in a transmission that calls for V. That why you have universal ATF claiming to cover for LV and V. But viscosity is not always the issue. It could be the required additives that Ford won't tell you that could be your issue.
Most of the Synthetic ATF fluids (recommended here) are too thin for Mercon V specifications, they are labeled as "LV".
Notable exceptions is AMSOIL that has both variants of ATF in synth form.

Since Mercon V is mostly conventional, it will thin out quicker.
Based on what? How do you know will not thicken? Or stay the same?
I did exchanges of Mercon V at 30k miles and it looked almost new. Transmission shifted the same.

Back