Synthetic or conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boosted427notch
do you have pcv valve part number. the parts house says dosent have one, but I know better.

Not off hand. I got mine from Carquest. You could try Napa,or your local Toyota dealer too.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
If you ran an engine to 200k with synthetic oil at 5k oil changes. Then take the exact same engine ran to 200k with a good quality SN dino oil at 5k oil changes. Making all other variables the same. I dont really think you could tell the difference if you opened the engine for a look inside. Some may disagree, but thats just my opinion.
You may be correct,but which will show less wear? Extended drains are not a concern for me. I just think that if syn will cause less wear, buildup, and last longer if I need it to then whynot.

If you ran an engine to 200k with synthetic oil at 5k oil changes. Then take the exact same engine ran to 200k with a good quality SN dino oil at 5k oil changes. Making all other variables the same. I dont really think you could tell the difference if you opened the engine for a look inside. Some may disagree, but thats just my opinion.
You may be correct,but which will show less wear? Extended drains are not a concern for me. I just think that if syn will cause less wear, buildup, and last longer if I need it to then whynot.

And the Bosch Distance plus filter is what I have on mine now, (with Synthetic oil) Seems like a nice combination. And no start up rattles/noises either.

If you need to use synthetic to give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside then by all mean use synthetic, lol. It won't hurt anything thats for sure. 200k was just a number I threw out, it would be the same if the number was 300k or 400k. Their wear numbers would be similar as well. People have gone over a million miles on dino. I would dare say more have done high mileage on dino than syn. But it's your car use what makes you feel better. I'm just saying unless you have uber extreme conditions or want to do extended drain intervals syn has no advantages for you.

Last edited:
^^ Some engines are easier on oil than others. The MZ family is NOT one of them. Thats why I try and stay with Synthetic for 5k runs. However, I have a small stash of conventional to use up, and when I run that, I go 3k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Anytime anyone asks this question, I throw them a screwball and respond: Use a blend!

+1 All you need is a Gallon of PYB, on clearance at Kmart for $9, 3 quarts of PP, blend and mix well and your set for a great synthetic blend for 7K miles. Use what you need from the mixed blend and keep the extra for top offs or your next OCI.
As long as your engine is not hard on oil, your not in a severely cold climate, your not towing or carrying heavy loads, you don't do severe inner city stop and go driving with short trips....this is all you need to get the best of both worlds.

Use whatever you want, but stop spreading nonsense that even oil companies are not willing to tackle.

Mobil did a 1 million mile test on their synthetic oil and shoved how clean everything was, and that everything was within specs, BUT they never compared synth to dino, or even mentioned that the wear numbers were better on synthetic. They never did a similar test using their dino oil and synthetic side by side, just to show how much better synthetic supposedly is, how hard would that be? If synthetic truly produced such dramatic differences they would surely try to capitalize on it.

Lack of such a test is a clear indication that the differences between dino and synth are not that great if the OCI is kept per manufacturer recommendation. This is why knowledgeable members will always ask what OCIs will be run with synthetic and what application
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Use whatever you want, but stop spreading nonsense that even oil companies are not willing to tackle.

Mobil did a 1 million mile test on their synthetic oil and shoved how clean everything was, and that everything was within specs, BUT they never compared synth to dino, or even mentioned that the wear numbers were better on synthetic. They never did a similar test using their dino oil and synthetic side by side, just to show how much better synthetic supposedly is, how hard would that be? If synthetic truly produced such dramatic differences they would surely try to capitalize on it.

Lack of such a test is a clear indication that the differences between dino and synth are not that great if the OCI is kept per manufacturer recommendation. This is why knowledgeable members will always ask what OCIs will be run with synthetic and what application
wink.gif

Being a little hard on him dont you think? I know what I posted earlier is jmo, but hey, it`s working for me. So if he wants to go synthetic because he feels the motor will stay cleaner (which in the MZ motor, it probably will) let him use it. I also use my current stash of VWB,and GTX, but shorten the drain interval.

Last edited:
He should not have asked on which to use if he was not willing to see both sides of it. It seems that his mind was already made up so there was no point in starting this thread.

If you don't want to hear someones opinions, don't ask for it!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
So if he wants to go synthetic because he feels the motor will stay cleaner (which in the MZ motor, it probably will) let him use it. I also use my current stash of VWB,and GTX, but shorten the drain interval.

Agreed. While I tend to stick with conventional, I can see the OP's point, even if I think he might be wasting money. He isn't exactly doing 3 mo/3000 miles, so synthetic isn't a complete write off. He's doing it himself, so that will save him money right off the bat. If he feels comfortable doing that, there's nothing wrong with that.

My view would be that if I felt uncomfortable with conventional at 5000 miles, I'd simply lower the OCI and keep the savings. However, if he doesn't want to go under the car as often, synthetic will do the trick nicely.

Me, I have to get under the car often - it's just my way. I could try tig1's 10000 miles on Mobil 1, but I'd have to go underneath for my OCD inspections anyhow.
wink.gif

Keep in mind here fella`s, if my v-6 wasnt an oil beating up motor, I would probably go a little longer on oci`s. Synthetic or Conventional. (I did say Probably) I`m still old school.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back