Rock bottom temp you would run a conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gary,

I really meant that I appreciated your input as in, it made sense to me.
55.gif

I have read the writings of Dr. Haas, and he poses some excellent points that I never considered regarding lighter oils.

I think the fact that switching from a conventional to a synth and back again has been debunked so far as this practice causing harm, that I will continue to use conventional in warmer months and switch over to syn during winter.

Thanks Gary!
11.gif

I live in northern Canada. I owned a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder from new until I traded it in 12 years later in 2002. During that time I started it at least 10 times at -35C (-30F) without a block heater and many times at -20C.

When I traded it it had 220,000 km, was still running great and used less than 1 litre of oil between 6000 km changes. I had no problems with the motor or transmission other than a few broken exhaust manifold studs.

I always used 5W30 dino oil and changed oil at 5000 to 6000 km and always changed the oil in early spring.

I ran conventional oil in my 1963 Bonneville when I lived in Montana -30F weather.

I ran straight 10W. That stuff poured out of the can like it was water.....glug, glug....empty.

Here in southwest CT, coldest month is February. At nigh, temp outside is around 10 to 12 degrees F, while daytime temps usually average about 22 degrees, F. Ive noticed everytime, i use a dino oil, 5w 30, engine rocks and makes screech noise, as car is parked outside over night. Not sure what a 10w 30 dino would do. Times ive used mobil 1 synthetic in february, instant startup, no screeches or noises or rattles:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back