Synthetic Oil Weight for '92 Volvo 940 Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a recently purchased '93 Volvo 940 Turbo. Yes, the year in the subject is different. The original owner went through two engines, the first was replaced under warranty by Volvo, the second was a junkyard pull from a '92 740. The wonder of Volvo plastic-tanked radiators. Now the '92 B230FT lacks piston oil squirters of the '93s, but I believe that is the only major difference. Both have water/oil-cooled turbos. The current mileage is 125,000 miles.

Volvo recommended a xW-40 for summertime, and in North Texas it can get into the 100Fs. Right now it is hovering around 80F during the day. The current oil fill is Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W-30 that I had left over before I switched to PP in my other vehicles.

I'm looking for options in the 0 to 5W-40 range in synthetic. Or if the current synthetic 5W-30s will fill in, since these recommendations were written in 1993. I am familiar with Rotella T synthetic and used to use it. I'm trying to keep it to oils that I can purchase locally (Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and a few local independent parts stores.) Perhaps GC 0W-30 since last time I checked it was a thickish 30W, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back