Synthetic oil relapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys. I know. I said I was going back to 2,000 changes using dino oil as I feel better changing then just racking up miles on synthetics. I went through the Mobil 1's. The Amsoil's. And the latest Havoline 5w40, which wasn't too bad for $1.99 a qt at Big Lots.

Now, all is well and good until I am browsing one day, nothing to do and I walk into a Carquest store. Never been to one before. This one is in Benton Harbor Michigan, about 40 miles W of Kalamazoo for those who care. Any way, I walk into the door and what do I see. First row. All Amsoil products. And I mean all. Second row. All Schaffers products, and again, I mean all, from the Moly additives to the Nuetru etc.

Then I walk down the third isle. All Royal Purple prodcuts. All the oil, including 10 30s/ 40s/ to racings oils to ATF etc. I just couldn't help myself. I knew I was going to walk out with somthing

Since I have been down the Amsoil before I ignored that isle. It was down to Schaffers and Royal Purple. I thought the Schaffers would be cheaper for the semi synthetic oils, but they were 1 dollar more then the Royal purple full synthetic oils. So, I purchased 5 qts of Royal Purple 10w30 and a wix filter and off I went. I flushed the engine when I got home, then put the Royal Purple in. I figure I might as well do the Transmission too. But I just use Castrol Dextron in the Trans. I like that for a counter ATF, although I have been hearing good things about the Royal Purple ATF.

Well, I have never tested my oils. I only go by the way they start, run etc/. I can tell you, I am getting good flow in this 20 Deg weather. No noise whatsover. And Maybe it is my imgination but I feel like I am getting more HP out of my truck. That is one of their claims for racing. And I can feel it when I hit the gas.

So I am off the wagon. I must check myself back into rehab. ANd start on step # 1 again. Admiting that I have a problem.

Frank
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Forgot to tell you. THe cost of the Royal Purple was $4.25 a qt which I thought was cheap since I have to pay more then that usually for Mobil 1.

OH Yeah, I did go down that GC road also. From what I have seen. NOt many people impressed with this oil. Mine turned black in a matter of 2 weeks. And I don't believe it was cleaning, I don't think this oil is as good as people are making it out to be. We knew nothing about this oil. ANd really still don't. Except people are complaining about noise, dirty oil. Consumption etc.

I pay $3 for the Schaeffer's. Hope the RP does O.K. for you. I believe for the most part it won't outperform Mobil 1 though (based on UOA's we have seen here)
welcome.gif

In most UOA's posted here, Mobil 1 does better that RP, but there are a couple of exceptions, such as the best UOA on a subaru engine, and the best UOA on a GM vortec 350 were both on RP. There are not that many RP UOA's posted, compared to Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by oilrecovery2003:
Forgot to tell you. THe cost of the Royal Purple was $4.25 a qt which I thought was cheap since I have to pay more then that usually for Mobil 1.

OH Yeah, I did go down that GC road also. From what I have seen. NOt many people impressed with this oil. Mine turned black in a matter of 2 weeks. And I don't believe it was cleaning, I don't think this oil is as good as people are making it out to be. We knew nothing about this oil. ANd really still don't. Except people are complaining about noise, dirty oil. Consumption etc.

All anecdotal evidence though, which honestly means nothing in comparison to a UOA report. Out of the small number of UOAs on GC that we've seen so far, they've all been consistently good. We can't say the same for Royal Purple though.

quote:

People complain about noise with M1, then others complain about noise when they stop using M1 and start using something else. Same with dirt and vibration. The only thing we know for sure is that people complain. I'd bet 99.9% of the vibration and harshness comments we see after people switch oils are their imagination and nothing more.

A few of us are running GC and will have some UOA numbers soon. And not this silly 2500 mile OCI stuff either. At that point we can make some real comparisons...

[ December 15, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
Patman...

You are becoming almost "Buster-ish" (with his M1) with regards to GC...
banghead.gif

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people on here who bash GC with no UOAs to back themselves up.

Well to Patman's defense, if it weren't for him, this oil would not be known and as popular and it has shown to be excellent so far. In fact, it shows better numbers then Amsoil 0w-30 Series 2000 for half the price!!

geeman, your a funny guy.
wink.gif
M1 is still excellent in my book and just bc it's louder in some engines doens't mean it sucks like some of you dopes think.
wink.gif

Patman, mechanics know the LEAST
about lubrication.
smile.gif

[ December 15, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

So did you do a UOA or just dump the oil in two weeks because it "went black"
rolleyes.gif

From the few UOA's I've seen here so far it looks to be performing very well, especially when it comes to maintaining viscocity, even in engines under drag racing stress like the one in Patmans' car.

[ December 16, 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
-*-*-* This board does not seem to look at the whole picture lately.
confused.gif

Well IMO not unless people are willing to go SEVERAL OCI's with the same oil before deciding to scrap the oil totally, they never will.
One has to take into account Repairs, Fuel, Milage, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure I see the connection. You can't be an oil expert if you can't locate a certain part on your car? I can't bake cookies, but I'm still pretty good at hockey
twak.gif

Personally I have more faith in people who are honest and can admit they don't know everything. But then again, if you make a mistake after 9000 posts I guess all your credability should be shot
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back