Synthetic Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another "Which oil should I Use" for you guys and gals.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3l flexfuel

Owners manual calls for dexos1 spec at a viscosity of 0w-20

Change interval one year or when OLM reads 0

I live in Georgia (mid-state)

Truck is lightly driven, may sit for a couple days between being driven. Mainly short trips (10 to 30 mi.) in rural/ light traffic. Truck is driven easy to moderate.

Vehicle has no known issues as it is new. Most definitely prefer synthetic, store bought or other is fine. I tried to follow sticky to provide proper info, if I missed something just let me know. Great site, I have gleaned a truckload of knowledge on many topics here. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Hammerguy
Another "Which oil should I Use" for you guys and gals.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3l flexfuel

Owners manual calls for dexos1 spec at a viscosity of 0w-20

Change interval one year or when OLM reads 0

I live in Georgia (mid-state)

Truck is lightly driven, may sit for a couple days between being driven. Mainly short trips (10 to 30 mi.) in rural/ light traffic. Truck is driven easy to moderate.

Vehicle has no known issues as it is new. Most definitely prefer synthetic, store bought or other is fine. I tried to follow sticky to provide proper info, if I missed something just let me know. Great site, I have gleaned a truckload of knowledge on many topics here. Thanks in advance.

Mobil-1 is readily available. Use it.

There was a 1996 Consumer Reports article evaluating motor oils. Mobil-1 and Pennzoil Performax were singled out for flowing more easily at low temperatures, but that's probably not a major issue in Georgia. The gist of the article was that any brand worked fine.

I also have a 2014 5.3 (GMC Sierra). You get 2 years/24,000 miles of maintenance from GM. The dealer will use a Dexos 1 approved 0W-20. I have done 2 UOA's with what the dealer used and it looks like a decent oil (no problem going 7500 miles which is what the OLM usually goes to). GM Dexos 0W-20 6,069 miles 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

If you are looking to skip the dealer and do your own change my vote would be for Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. Walmart carries 5 quart jugs and they have been $22.66 lately. This oil is Dexos 1 approved. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt.

Appreciate the links! Very informative. What mileage would you do initial oil change? Thanks

Follow the OLM, even for the 1st one. I'd let the dealer do the 1st 2 years for free unless it's a huge drive. Any 0W-20 at Walmart will be fine, that truck has a big sump.

After the free dealer oil changes, I would use whatever 0w20 synthetic on sale and follow OLM. Congrats on ur new truck

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Any dexos1 spec at a viscosity of 0w-20

+2

GM's dexos1 spec is tougher than GL-5 or SN. Use any brand with confidence.

The GM OLM for the trucks has been very accurate in the past for a wide variety of operating conditions. I would trust it to 0%.

I'm using the freebie oil changes from the dealer now on my 2014. They use the AC Delco semi syn 0w20. Had 3 changes so far and my last OLM was reading 4%. The last 2000 miles were towing a horse trailer that weighed 8700 lbs on the highway scales to Taos NM and back from Arkansas. My oil analysis was good with copper a touch high but falling (normal in engine break in)

Honestly I'm always using M1 or Valvoline products but seeing how good the Delco oil is I'm thinking I might stay with it (depending on the cost at dealer).

Rest easy using the freebie changes

first off i am not a fan of the water-oil x-20 oils. pennzoil makes dexos in semisyn as well as the newer GTL synthetic oil, both fake synthetics but the new oil from GTL technology may be the best short of real PAO + ester oils. with short slow driving a better add pack with a high TBN, thats the stuff that keeps the oil clean + keeps acids etc in check for longer drains. Amsoil signature series oils have TBN's in the 12's + low Noack for less burn off-read deposits, very important in DI engines. if you keep your vehicles a while 1xx,xxx or so better oils are worth it, if your a trader it matters less. my 01 jetta on Amsoil 10-30 signature series went 199,xxx before trading with 20" on the vacuum-boost gauge!!!

Mobil 1 or TGMO would be my 2 choices. I run Mobil 1 in my Tacoma because I also live in Middle Ga and it's good to have a motor oil that will take the heat!

Thanks for the info on the OLM, as I really didn't know how trustworthy it was. I think with the way I use the truck that the dealer freebies will do pretty well. After that I am leaning Mobil 1 at this time. Plan on doing oil analysis and will post for input when the time comes. Can't beat the info provided here, I really appreciate the help.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
first off i am not a fan of the water-oil x-20 oils. pennzoil makes dexos in semisyn as well as the newer GTL synthetic oil, both fake synthetics but the new oil from GTL technology may be the best short of real PAO + ester oils. with short slow driving a better add pack with a high TBN, thats the stuff that keeps the oil clean + keeps acids etc in check for longer drains. Amsoil signature series oils have TBN's in the 12's + low Noack for less burn off-read deposits, very important in DI engines. if you keep your vehicles a while 1xx,xxx or so better oils are worth it, if your a trader it matters less. my 01 jetta on Amsoil 10-30 signature series went 199,xxx before trading with 20" on the vacuum-boost gauge!!!

What's wrong with a 20 wt oil if your engine calls for it?

Last edited:
I've switched to Pennzoil Platinum. Natural Gas derived base stock has is as pure as it gets. Highly recommendation base on my use in Ford Explorer 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back