Synthetic Oil Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I have purchased a 2007 Lexus RX350 with 104,000 miles on it. It has had oil changes religiously at the dealer about every 4500 miles since new(found info on lexus owners website). I believe they used Valvoline blend. I am wondering if it's okay to go with Royal Purple 5w30, want to do it myself with a better oil change for the same price they charge if not less. Any suggestions on my choice?

No need for Royal Purple, really. Any OTC synthetic oil on Walmart shelves will do just fine, better than fine actually. I would recommend M1, PP, or QSUD. All great synthetic oils, guessing it specs 5w30?

Thanks for all the advice, wasn't saying I was committed to RP but was more wondering about the switch from semi to full. I think I've read too much online info! I've heard the RP is real synthetic and the cheaper ones are mixed with stuff, then I read about oil Groups and RP is a group IV which is good but may cause leaks...I'm so confused!! Having paid for a high mileage vehicle just trying to get her right..it seems to me Lexus(or Toyota) dealer oil changes may not be the best oil for her at her age

+1 Mobil 1 HM 5w30

I wouldn't pay $50 for a rp change when I can get M1 for half or Pennzoil Ultra at $28.

The Royal Purple will not give you twice the oil change interval as a $25 synthetic so why pay double the cost?

If you have no interest in going past 4,500 miles just use the cheapest synthetic like Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

The bulk oil at the dealership might vary but you can ask for full syn. Be careful though. My Yoda dealership cost $52 for M1 oil change for the MR2 (worth it not to deal with the MR2 engine shields). On the other hand, my wife was charged $82 for syn-blend Castrol.

I don't think there is anything special about RP to justify their premium price. M1/PU is better and and Wallyworlds Supertech is just about the same (more sodium in PR but more Boron in ST, very similar otherwise).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chris757
Thanks for all the advice, wasn't saying I was committed to RP but was more wondering about the switch from semi to full. I think I've read too much online info! I've heard the RP is real synthetic and the cheaper ones are mixed with stuff, then I read about oil Groups and RP is a group IV which is good but may cause leaks...I'm so confused!! Having paid for a high mileage vehicle just trying to get her right..it seems to me Lexus(or Toyota) dealer oil changes may not be the best oil for her at her age

RP makes an high mileage oil called Royal Purple HMX.

Yeah, read Mobile 1 is good stuff and at half the price, but also read it's not real synthetic like RP, Amsoil or redline. How much does that matter?

Originally Posted By: chris757
Yeah, read Mobile 1 is good stuff and at half the price, but also read it's not real synthetic like RP, Amsoil or redline. How much does that matter?

Mobil 1 is a fine oil,pick one and run it,you wont have any issues.

Mobil 1 is a good oil that performs well. You likely won't see any difference between the VISOM based Mobil 1 or expensive botique oils in your application.

If it were me, I'd start using a high mileage oil in 5w-30. Valvoline Maxlife is a blend like what was being used. I'd run it 5,000 miles with a PureONE filter and call it a day.

How do you want to define Synthetic? Most of it is marketing and most of the debate is in the marketing realm. Are we talking Group III or IV and up?

In my option, I follow MolaKule comments in this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3246445/2

Any good oil is going to have a blended base-stocked to achieve a desired goal.

I do consider Amsoil and RL a different class than RP. But is it a better product for daily driving... ehhhh, not really that significant of a difference.

Those engines are very easy on oil and hold a bunch - 6.5 quarts. If you're going to stick with the recommended interval of 5000 miles, any blend will give you more than enough service. I wouldn't use synthetic unless you plan to stretch the interval.

Great! Thanks Everyone for all the help...I got 300 miles to go before I have to decide!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back