Synthetic lube in Japanese Mini-Pickups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - The service manual did show up, and they list the following for the "Real Time 4WD" -

Trans/Transfer - APISE, 10W-30 or MTF

Differential - APIGL-4

So, I guess the differential is no big mystery, but I'd really like some guideance on the transmission oil. In fact, I'd appreciate suggestions on both. Keep in mind that this is a 39 hp rig that I hoped to free up the drivetrain of with synthectic lube, especially in cold weather. Within the limits of the manufacturer, of course.

Thanks in advance, ****

In the transmission, Honda has their own MTF, and it works well.

The differential takes API GL-4? I'd find some GL-4/GL-5 synthetic gear oil in your viscosity. Now, what viscosity does the manual call for?

Yeah, thanks guys. I was hoping for something a little more precise too. Really kind of leaves me with about as many questions as before... just different ones. Guess maybe I'll stop down to the Honda dealer and visit with them. I think the drivetrain is pretty similar to the first generation built for use in the States.

Well, the fact finding mission to the Honda dealer was interesting. Service mgr did prove to knowledgable and helpful about lube type and viscosity specs...

Transaxle indeed does use 10w-30 motor oil. He seemed to prefer that to their MTF...

Differential would want GL-4 in 75-85w range.

He didn't seem to be much of a synthetic fan. Cautioned that it would likely start leaking past seals. Although the vehicle only has 31k miles, it is 10 years old. I guess I have that decision to make. Any of you care to weigh in regarding the likelyhood of leaking in this application? Also, any input on the original question of lubricant choices would be helpful. Thanks

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

APPLICATIONS
Recommended for automotive and light truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover, MG, and Mini Cooper. Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

Applications
Recommended for synchronized manual transmissions and transaxles that require 75W-85, 75W-90 or 80W-90 viscosities and any of the following performance specifications: API GL-4 and MT-1, ZF TE-ML 02B, 16A, 17A and 19A, Chrysler MS-9070, MAN 341 ML. Recommended for use in NV 4500 transmissions, and replaces GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back