Synthetic lube in Japanese Mini-Pickups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought one of those little cab-over minis. Mine happens to be a Honda, but they all use a 660cc 3 cyl liquid cooled engine. Redline about 7500, cruise around 6000 @ 55-60 mph. It uses the Real Time AWD system.It's really difficult to get good info about these little dudes.

I really would like to get synthetic lube in at least the diffs. The dealer I bought it from said to use synthetic 75-85 in diffs and trans. I'm curious it any of you here have had any experience with synthetic in the drivetrain of these "Real Time" units, and what you might recommend?

Thanks, ****

Last edited:
There really are a boatload of those little things showing up in MT. I think the state is actually violating federal law by licensing them for street use.

Yes, they may be. We'll probably get beat up on Fed funds for highways or something. In light of the current energy situation though, I hope EPA will take a fresh look at it. They use a cat and should pass a sniffer test.

They do not meet ANY safety specs. I've seen one that ran off the road doing about 15mph and the cab was destroyed. Luckly for the operator he jumped out before it left the parking lot.

No way would I be in one of those around other vehicles.

bill

PS: reason for running off the parking lot? Throttle stuck and the brakes would not stop it.

Bill - Yes, they are a bit perilous to drive. No daydreaming and defensive operation, but still better than a scooter, 40-45mpg, a good heater, great traction... Think it will serve for about 70% of my driving.

Not sure about your comment about sticking throttle and no brakes... I imagine any poorly maintained vehicle could be pretty dangerous.

I had really hope to get some advice on using synthetic lube in drivetrain of Honda's "Real Time" system. Thanks

I want one! My gosh ..I won't have to buy a street legal Cushman to go to the grocery store and putt-putt around town. There's nothing wrong with life in the slow lane. I might not be doing that Turbo-Scion 1.5l clown car project after all
grin2.gif

18-tiny_3.jpg

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I want one! My gosh ..I won't have to buy a street legal Cushman to go to the grocery store and putt-putt around town. There's nothing wrong with life in the slow lane. I might not be doing that Turbo-Scion 1.5l clown car project after all
grin2.gif

18-tiny_3.jpg

I wonder how much larger the Smart Car is. I have seen them running around here and they don't look all that much larger stem to stern.

I love the pic with the German shepherd.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hayseed
Not sure about your comment about sticking throttle and no brakes... I imagine any poorly maintained vehicle could be pretty dangerous.

It was about 6 months old. We sold the rest of them (had 3 more for the yard) after sitting for a year after the accident.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I wonder how much larger the Smart Car is. I have seen them running around here and they don't look all that much larger stem to stern.

Big difference is the Smart car has gone through and *HAS* passed the safety tests. (one of the reasons why it gets worst MPG over the non-USA models)

smart car @ 70mph hitting a wall

You can make a small car safe.

Sorry to the OP about highjacking the thread..
06.gif
I just take safety serious...

Bill

Quote:
Big difference is the Smart car has gone through and *HAS* passed the safety tests. (one of the reasons why it gets worst MPG over the non-USA models)

smart car @ 70mph hitting a wall

You can make a small car safe.

..and at what cost? Can you do that for motorcycles? No ..so it's kinda like a personal choice thing for economy, wouldn't you say? One that's robbed from us at a massive toll in costs.

Originally Posted By: hayseed
Hi Gary - I see you're an Amsoil guy. Would you have any comments regarding my original post? Thanks.

Well, I have no experience with THESE real time units . ..but the MTG 75w-90 is a GL4 MT1 lubricant that's recommended where 75w-85 is specified.

I have to assume that they're also used elsewhere or in some other modality that can be referenced for a legit spec.

Applications
Recommended for synchronized manual transmissions and transaxles that require 75W-85, 75W-90 or 80W-90 viscosities and any of the following performance specifications: API GL-4 and MT-1, ZF TE-ML 02B, 16A, 17A and 19A, Chrysler MS-9070, MAN 341 ML. Recommended for use in NV 4500 transmissions, and replaces GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459.

Meets GL-4 performance specifications required by some models of Acura, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Hino Mitsubishi-Fuso, and Zetor. Ideal for muscle car transmissions such as Muncie, Borg Warner, Saginaw, Ford Toploader, Dearborn and New Process. Also recommended for Gear Vendors Gear Splitters.

..but this would not be what I would normally put in a differential .. a transaxle ..a transmission ..
21.gif

Ok. Thanks Gary. I was able to order a English shop manual last week, so hopefully I'll have some spec #s to work with soon.

Great! You get to crack the mystery nut on the thing
55.gif

btw-what did you pay for the thing anyway? Since you guys are getting tags and titles ...a road trip may be worth it
grin2.gif

There are a whole bunch of them for sale here in Billings and the going price seems to be between $6,000 and $8,000. That's a lot of dough...

BTW, licensing is different here in MT than it is in a lot of places. You don't get your tags from the dealer.

That pretty much rules out any out-of-state sales if they can't be licensed in your home state.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
There really are a boatload of those little things showing up in MT. I think the state is actually violating federal law by licensing them for street use.

Does the fine print tell you that you can't drive them on federal highways? there are some small non-fed compliant Chinese trucks being assembled in OK that are licensed to operated on state roads, but not fed roads.

From viewing Mini truck website, I believe Montana is the only state licensing these for unrestricted hiway use. At least some Canadian provinces do, but I think they have to be at least 15 years old. Just got mine licensed last Friday, and while there was some headscratching going on, in the end, all was well. They don't carry the 17 digit vin like domestics, and a couple other oddities, but there are provisions in the state to remedy.

There is a guy just a few miles from my house that has a few for sale. They all had 50-60k miles, early 90s. $52-5800. I bought from a dealer in N central Montana, who had about a dozen in better shape. Honda I got with 31k miles was $7000. I liked the Honda mostly cause of the rear engine, rather than mid configuration. Range from this dealer was $55-7500. I know he had a Suzuki with about 2k miles and several in 10-12 range. Just sold one with a dump bed.

As far as being a lot of dough, I guess I looked at the price of used side by side ATVs, and felt they are a pretty fair deal. Plus a cab and good heater...

If they're issuing a title ...and I'm riding in with a transit tag ..I should have no issue getting it registered here in PA.

..at those prices, though, I should be able to build my own and run it under a street rod title tag.

Quote:
Specially constructed vehicle—One of the following:

(i) A vehicle not originally constructed by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles under a distinctive name and not materially altered from its original construction, but assembled from parts of various vehicles or kits, or both, and which would be commonly known as a ‘‘homemade’’ vehicle, such as the assembly of a dune buggy from the chassis of a manufactured vehicle and a fiberglass body kit, or the assembly of the chassis of a Mercury and the body of a Ford, and similar combination of makes and models.

(ii) A vehicle which has been materially altered by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts derived from various other makes and models and which the Department determines cannot be readily identified as a vehicle of a generally recognized make or model, such as the installation of a Rolls Royce-style hood and grill on a Volkswagen, and similar major ‘‘customizing’’ change tending to disguise the vehicle’s original make and model identity.

Street rod—A motor vehicle, or a reproduction thereof, with a model year of 1948 or older which has been materially altered or modified by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts and with a gross weight or registered gross weight of not more than 9,000 pounds.

Who am I kidding?
LOL.gif
I'd buy one just for the looks you'd get putting around town
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back