Synthetic causes seals to leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a leak did happen to develop after using a synthetic oil, the seals were probably on their way out in the first place. They usually decide to switch to synthetic when the engine has many miles accrued, very old and then blame the synthetic oil for their problem.

I heard there may be some truth to that. That was mainly due to the superior cleaning ability of synthetic. If your seals started leaking because of synthetic oil, it was because they were already bad and sludge and dirt were clogging the leak and now the synthetic oil cleaned that away. This will likely be less of an issue today as the difference between conventional and synthetic is a a lot closer than they used to be.

Total B:poop:. This is why critical thinking skills should be taught in schools, but won't, so it's wishful thinking on my part. Causation vs correlation. Removing or changing one variable, then repeating the process to see if the same, or a different outcome occurs. As other have said, in short, synthetic oils reveal, not cause, leaks.

It was a problem with some of the earliest synthetics to go to market in the 1970s, especially with Asian cars with natural-rubber seals, but American vehicles were affected too. That was 40 years ago. The manufacturers learned and added the necessary additives to correct the problem.

Another synthetic had a formulation problem back then that killed camshafts. That formula was revised to fix that as well.

Don't want to name the manufacturers as there's no point now. If you want to badly enough, you can find details in very old threads here. That stuff was 40 years ago. That's the point.

I first used syn oil in 1975 in my vehicles and Steen C for my motorcycle in 1969 or 70 and I have not had any oil leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back