Synthetic 5W30 HTHS Comparisons ?

*For popular M1 , Pennzoil , Valvoline , Castrol and Quaker State 5W30 synthetic oils - is there a HTHS list available ? ... I am guessing they all will have an HTHS of between 3.0 and 3.5 (with 3.5 being preferred ) . Second option would be which popular WM bought 5W30 synthetic oils have an HTHS closer to 3.5 than 3.0 ?

*For popular M1 , Pennzoil , Valvoline , Castrol and Quaker State 5W30 synthetic oils - is there a HTHS list available ? ... I am guessing they all will have an HTHS of between 3.0 and 3.5 (with 3.5 being preferred ) . Second option would be which popular WM bought 5W30 synthetic oils have an HTHS closer to 3.5 than 3.0 ?

HTHS is in the table.

Out of all of those, Valvoline has the highest at 3.2 HTHS.

You want 3.5 HTHS, you would most likely go with an European spec oil.

Last edited:

HTHS is in the table.
Thanks for re posting. Great info in 1 post.

Thanks for the information - a lot of folks really impressed with the new SP rated QSFS 5W30 / 10W30 for wear protection ... Even self-proclaimed oil Professor RAT 540 put the new QSFS 5W30 at the top of his list of oils providing the best wear protection . My lovely 2017 Hyundai Theta II 2.4L GDI engine has a known , poor bearing issue but is still under warrantee with the OM showing only 5W20 , 5W30 and 10W30 oil grades being permitted . I'd prefer not having to deal with Hyundai - even though I had the knock sensor software update and am supposedly protected for life . *Bearing wear protection is my chief #1 objective , so whatever the best I can get in a 10W30 / 5W30 with lower VII's piques my interest most (low OCI's address cleanliness and the rest of the oil ad pack I have less interest in ) .

petro canada supreme synthetic 5w30 used to have HTHS of 3.3, but all their oils in the supreme synthetic family have been reformulated like most manufacturers, and they are now thinner with lower HTHS. the 5w30 is at 3.1 now.

Note that ILSAC GF-X(A) XW-30 oils (Resource Conserving XW-30 oils) will have HTHS = 3.0–3.2 cP to be able to pass the ILSAC fuel-efficiency test (2.9 cP is also allowed). In addition to looking at the HTFS, ensure that you have a high HTFS. For an ideal monograde (straight grade, nonmultigrade), HTFS = HTHS. The more the VII content, the more HTFS will deviate from HTHS due to the temporary shear of the VII.

Link to Google sheet: Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils

Last edited:
Which ones?
Amsoil OE and XL definitely are 3.3 but of course they aren't really readily available shelf oils. The others I was thinking about have changed formulations except for Valvoline Daily Protection 3.3 also.

Last edited:
Note that ILSAC GF-X(A) XW-30 oils (Resource Conserving XW-30 oils) will have HTHS = 3.0–3.2 cP to be able to pass the ILSAC fuel-efficiency test (2.9 cP is also allowed). In addition to looking at the HTFS, ensure that you have a high HTFS. For an ideal monograde (straight grade, nonmultigrade), HTFS = HTHS. The more the VII content, the more HTFS will deviate from HTHS due to the temporary shear of the VII.

Link to Google sheet: Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils

I've noticed specs can change somewhat dramatically for oils. I looked and sorry if I missed it, but do you keep track of when this data was updated?

I've noticed specs can change somewhat dramatically for oils. I looked and sorry if I missed it, but do you keep track of when this data was updated?
I'm the one who created and has updated it. There are some SP-rated oils in there as well. It's making it more difficult because Mobil 1 probably noticed me being able to figure out their base-oil viscosity and VII content of their oils and has stopped publishing KV and VI data to protect the recipes of their oils.

My comment about ILSAC XW-30 oils being bound to HTHS ~ 3.0–3.2 cP because of fuel efficiency remains valid regardless of oil updates.

I'm the one who created and has updated it. There are some SP-rated oils in there as well. It's making it more difficult because Mobil 1 probably noticed me being able to figure out their base-oil viscosity and VII content of their oils and has stopped publishing KV and VI data to protect the recipes of their oils.

My comment about ILSAC XW-30 oils being bound to HTHS ~ 3.0–3.2 cP because of fuel efficiency remains valid regardless of oil updates.
What KV data do you need? This is on M1 EP's PDS (5W-30 and 10W-30 are the last two respectively):

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D4458.6910.610.2
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44555506064

and then this is 5W-30's website giving the VI data for it:

Properties and Specifications​

Property
GradeSAE 5W-30
Density @ 15.6 C, g/cm3, ASTM D40520.851
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44510.6
Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97-40
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270169
Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -35 C, mPa.s, ASTM D468411700
Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D8740.9
Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, mPa.s, ASTM D46833.0
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92230
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D28969

What KV data do you need? This is on M1 EP's PDS (5W-30 and 10W-30 are the last two respectively):

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D4458.6910.610.2
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44555506064

and then this is 5W-30's website giving the VI data for it:

Properties and Specifications​

Property
GradeSAE 5W-30
Density @ 15.6 C, g/cm3, ASTM D40520.851
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44510.6
Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97-40
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270169
Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -35 C, mPa.s, ASTM D468411700
Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D8740.9
Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, mPa.s, ASTM D46833.0
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92230
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D28969
Link?

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Back