syntec 5w40 or 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been running the syntec blend 10w30 lately in my 98 xj 4.0 motor and its been pretty happy (got it for almost free from a friend that works at autozone). Ive been thinking about switching to the syntec 5w40 or 10w40 based on how well it looks and how good the VOA looks. I know the 4.0s like 40w oils and have been wanting to go to a full synthetic for a while. opinions would be great.

Either would be just fine. 5W40 Rotella T or Mobil 1 should do the trick.

Oops, I just re-read your post. I guess the Syntec would be ok to. I have never used any of it but I would imagine that it is good stuff to.

[ July 01, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: KW ]

well I have thought about the M1 also Im just bouncing ideas off trying to get some other feedback. I had just seen some really good support for the new syntec xw40 oils and was considering that.

*btw Im looking at this as a year round oil, MD and VA so thats something else i want an opinion on is if it would be too thick for winters in these areas as ive always just used 10w30 all year.

[ July 01, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: MariusVT ]

You'd probably be fine with the 10w40 since you are using 10w30 now and a synthetic will flow better in the cold.

What is the coldest it normally gets in your area? If you say 10 F then I would go with the 10w40. If you say 0 F the 10w40 is probably still fine, but you may prefer the 5w40.

But I am wondering if the Syntec is a Group III "synthetic" oil and, if so, you would get a better oil for not much more money with Mobil 1 which I understand to be a Group IV synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

But I am wondering if the Syntec is a Group III "synthetic" oil and, if so, you would get a better oil for not much more money with Mobil 1 which I understand to be a Group IV synthetic.

TallPaul, I just put the Syntec 10W-40 in my car this morning. Actually, I can get Mobil 1 a tad cheaper.

Mobil 1 is all PAO, but I don't consider it the superior product.

Syntec has some PAO, Slack Wax, and is GpIII. The specs. look excellent. It's a very light 40wt. It's not your run of the mill GPIII.

[ July 02, 2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

quote:

Originally posted by 02supercrew:
If the 10w30 has been working for you, why change at all?

The 10W-40 Syntec is a very light 40wt. 13.1 @ 100C and has a much more robust additive package than does the 10-30 blend. It's also A3,B3 rated. It might be an improvement for this particular engine.

Im looking at the additive package, and the 4.0 is getting broken in at 102k. the 40wt is a thin 40 so i was thinking it wouldnt be too much thicker than the dino that was doing 3k OCI, Im just looking to go to a 6 month or 5-6k OCI. And there is the whole point that the 4.0 seems to really like 40wt oils.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Haley 10 : What is "slack wax".

I am not a chemist, so you have to do some searches. I was speaking of Shell XHVI 5.2

Slack Wax can be hydrocracked into making a very high viscosity index/ stable blend stock or Group III base stock, better than starting with a Group I.

People think of VI improver as being a bad thing and breaking down, but not necessarily so with some of the newer technology.

Of course Exxon/Mobil and Chevron/Texaco have similar processes.

The board may crucify me, but Petro Canada may also have some Group III technology that will rival true synthetics.

Sorry i couldn't answer the real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back