Syntec 5w30, 3250mi, 08 Legacy 2.5GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
oilreport.jpg

New to the oil analysis deal, so this is my first check with ~10,500 on the motor.

For a newer engine, looks pretty good. I'd stay at 5-6k runs with synthetic to keep the turbo in good shape...are you going to keep running Syntec in it?

I had planned to, I have gotten some suggestions from LegacyGT.com folks based on this to move to a 5w40 or GC 0w30 as the engine sees very hard use, and based upon the viscosity seen in this UOA.

I should probably mention that it's a 'stage 2' for a LGT, with a conservative tune peaking ~20psi.

Last edited:
He's saying that it did a 2 hour track day on this oil run.

I'd say with that usage, M1 0w40 at a bottom and Rotella T 5w40/Redline 5w40/Amsoil 5w40/M1 TDT 5w40 as the more likely preferred lubes for this engine w/ long track days thrown in.

Originally Posted By: esseye
I had planned to, I have gotten some suggestions from LegacyGT.com folks based on this to move to a 5w40 or GC 0w30 as the engine sees very hard use, and based upon the viscosity seen in this UOA.

I should probably mention that it's a 'stage 2' for a LGT, with a conservative tune peaking ~20psi.

Analysis looks good. Pretty high boost pressure on that stage 2. Is that typical for Legacies? What's the stock pressure for a LGT? I'm stage 2 (Cobb AP, Rallitek map) at 17psi (11.9 stock) on my 08 WRX. Your engine looks as if it's taking the increased pressure with no problem.

Last edited:
It is probably tuned for 17-18 PSI and peaks around 20 (or has slight overboosts to 20).

I wonder how his IC is doing :)

Tuned target is around 18.7psi peak, it peaks up to around 20 while the boost control systems flatten things out to there and then taper it down to ~14 at redline.

IC is doing fantastic, we've actually taken it as far as ~25psi with no sign of the endtanks having issues. Put down 310ft/lbs at the wheels @ 3000rpm. Same dyno a ~325whp stage 2 STI put down about 305ft/lb at the wheels peak.

The turbo just doesn't really have the flow to do anything better than it's doing though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run Syntec 5W-30 in a Stage II LGT. I would run GC at a minimum. It will probably to continue to shear to a 20 grade even with short OCI's.

BTW,
welcome2.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back