SynPower 10W50

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

Who has used Valvoline SynPower 10W-50 and what did you use it in ?

I see it all the time at my local auto stores, sometimes on sale, but I don't have enough engine to require running a 50 grade oil.

It's a full synthetic that is rated API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502/505.

Here is the Australia Valvoline SynPower Product Range (Oz SynPower PDF)

Here is the 10W50 tech data sheet (SynPower 10W50 PDF)

KV40 = 120 cSt
KV100 = 18.0 cSt
VI = 163
CCS (-25C) = 6200 cP
FP = 234 C
PP = -39 C
TBN = 9.8

It looks like a decent street performance oil to me.

J300 gives a 50 grade at between 16.3 and 21.9 cSt with CCS max of 7000 cP at -25 C

So the SynPower is solidly in the 50 grade viscosity (not just a thick 40), plus it's at the topish end of a 10W oil so looks like thickish base oils were used rather than a lot of polymer VII enhancement.

I'd run it in my car or bike, but never have seen it here...or do I just see Valvoline and keep going ? Expensive synthetics are still a Yeah, Nah here.

Hey Silk,
It's often cheaper for me than Castrol Edge, Penrite HPR, and especially M1.

Hmmm, I think I have a problem - Valvoline (and Mobil) packaging just looks so '50's, I hardly ever look at it.

I was going to use it in the VT but everyone stopped stocking it when I went to buy it, so went with Helix Ultra instead. Currently using Synpower 5W-40 in the Subaru but it's the old formula and it needs topping up a little over the oci. Will try the new formula if I can get a bottle of it next time to see how that goes.

I've only used the SynPower 0W40 before, it too was the old formula. But they were giving it away at some super low price. It ran smooth in my car and didn't burn a drop (well not enough to be measured on the stick). I think the Shell Helix Ultra is a better oil, it carries more OEM specs last time I looked. But when the price is right, the SynPower is a fine drop of oil.

I like the look of the synpower containers too, the look sleek to me.

I use 5w-50 and 10w-60 in my track car but this Valvoline doesn't give me warm fuzzies, They claim A3/B4 and a TBN of 9.8
A friend uses it in his Lancia Integrale.

^^^It might be an 'Antipodes ONLY' thing.
wink.gif

I think I've found out why I don't like the Synpower 10W-50. I went to Repco today (200m on the new shop hack, a mountaain bike) and I found it on the shelf....$111. Anyone wants some at that bargain price they will have to pay shipping too.

What !!! That is an insane price. Way too much.
Here the regular price is about $70 but you can sometimes pick it up for about $40 on sale.

Anyway, I've given up on full synthetics for my car, unless I get a super good deal. They regularly have name brand semi-synthetics on sale at about $20 for 5L, that will do me.

Hey Silk, what is the bulk oil at your new shop ?

Not long ago you had access to leftover Edge 5W30 A3/B4, that was a very good oil.

Yes, the last 3 years I've been using the Mitsubishi oil, from Castrol...so the A3/B4 5W-30 Edge, and also the 5w-40 C3, which must be Magnatec diesel. Over the road now, and we have Vertex Oils https://www.lubenz.co.nz/content/22-vertex

They also supply Elf oils, but say Vertex has nothing to do with Elf, but comparing the 2 I'd say they are just branding it for workshops, same as Pennzoil who brand Oil Pro for workshops. We have Vertex branding on tyre shine and degeaser etc. We use a low SAPS 5W-30 for diesels, and a 10W-30 which is SN/CF and A3/B3 and GF-5...a step or 2 down from the A3/B4, but I guess it's ok. I prefer a 15W-40 for older diesels, but they are not so common now.

https://www.lubenz.co.nz/low-saps-engine-oil/212-vertex-expert-c4-5w30.html

https://www.lubenz.co.nz/petrol-engine-oil/240-vertex-expert-gt-10w30.html

The Valvoline would have to be on a special special to be on my list. But re the cheap oil thread...it's still worth paying that price surely ?...?

Originally Posted By: Silk

They also supply Elf oils, but say Vertex has nothing to do with Elf, ..... and a 10W-30 which is SN/CF and A3/B3 and GF-5...

But re the cheap oil thread...it's still worth paying that price surely ?...?

Yeah the SynPower at $40 to $50 for 5 L is worth it. I picked up some SynPower 5W30 FE for about $35 about 6 months ago, and some GTX 15W40 UltraClean for about $15 around 2 months ago. I don't need anymore oil, no matter how good the price.

So a 10W30 that is A3/B3 and GF-5 .....Hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back