My new favorite oil - European SynPower 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing the German Valvoline website and came across this:

Originally Posted By: Valvoline Germany
SynPower Motoröle basieren auf vollsynthetischen Grundölen und neuester Additivtechnologie.

For our non-German speakers, it translates to SynPower is a fully synthetic formulation with advanced additive technology. According to the TDS, it has approvals for:

- API SN/CF
- ACEA A3/B4-10
- MB-229.5
- GM LL-B-025
- VW 502.00/505.00
- Porsche A-40
- BMW LongLife-01
- Renault RN 0700/RN 0710

Also has a very decent TBN of 10.3. Given we get this stuff locally, I couldn't resist and picked up 24 liters for ~$8 a liter from a wholesaler.
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like good stuff. Not to get off topic but Are there refineries in Kuwait or do they do a lot of "extraction" and ship their oil off to refineries elsewhere?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I've found it around here in Indiana already.

What you probably found is Synpower 5w-40 MST which is not the same product as the OP posted (HST).

5/40 MST & HST are VERY similar except for:

TBN. HST IS HIGHER
Sulated ash. HST IS HIGHER
Zinc/phosphorus. HST has more
Calcium. HST has more

Yeah, very similar except different.
lol.gif

MST is meant for modern day diesel engines as it's a low SAPS formula. It meets MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, etc.

HST is a full SAPS formula for gasoline engines. It meets MB 229.5, MB LL-01, etc.

Too bad HST is not available in the US at retail level.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
lol.gif

MST is meant for modern day diesel engines as it's a low SAPS formula. It meets MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, etc.

HST is a full SAPS formula for gasoline engines. It meets MB 229.5, MB LL-01, etc.

Even better would be a NAPA synthetic branded version on sale at $3.49/qt!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
lol.gif

I grieve too as someday the GC stash will run out

I wouldnt use any of that 05 Vintage GC, if it were mine. I Keep All my GC safely Stashed Away. Autozone usually has Castrol Syntec oil change deals every other month. They do wonder what Im putting all that GC into, almost ask every time.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I wouldnt use any of that 05 Vintage GC, if it were mine. I Keep All my GC safely Stashed Away. Autozone usually has Castrol Syntec oil change deals every other month. They do wonder what Im putting all that GC into, almost ask every time.

We have to be strong and move on. Just steady yourself and move on to what's next. It is for your own good. We can't someday be using 20 yr old oil. ;-)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite

We have to be strong and move on. Just steady yourself and move on to what's next. It is for your own good. We can't someday be using 20 yr old oil. ;-)

Anyway I have a new favorite myself....it's Total Quartz...or maybe Pentosin...or it could be Liqui Moly Leichtlauf...or Fuchs Titan GT-1....and don't try to talk me out of it...my mind is made up.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Looks like good stuff. Not to get off topic but Are there refineries in Kuwait or do they do a lot of "extraction" and ship their oil off to refineries elsewhere?

There are state-owned refineries that meet the demands of the local, Persian Gulf and Middle East markets through the Kuwait Petroleum Corporation.

Kuwait Petroleum International is a subsidiary, exporting crude, which they refine in Belgium and the Netherlands for the European Union market. They also have refineries in Malaysia with refineries in China and Vietnam on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back