Syn-Semi-syn Straw poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B3G3F M1 Coupons first got me into Syns.

$1.50-$2.00/qt API SL Synthetics sale at AZ last Feb fully converted me to full Syn.

I'm not cheap, I just don't give my $$ away b/c the tree in my backyard has yet to grow it.

I would'nt doubt if I unknowingly ran across bryanccfshr at AZ!

Syn in my car for the longer OCI and piece of mind.
I will be using a blend in the wife's, but it will be the free DuraBlend from e-bay (5 oil changes worth). Same for all the MaxLife I have. If I didn't have a stash, I would probably be using the Trop Artic blend in hers. For about $1/qt, who cares what the exact ratio is.
When I had my Jeep, is was dino every 3k.

Bryanccshr
quote:

I am intrigued by the Schaffers for example but I am turned off by the dificulty in obtaining it.

One of the beauties of Schaeffer Manufacturing.
Though getting it thru the site rep here is pretty easy.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
Bryanccshr
quote:

I am intrigued by the Schaffers for example but I am turned off by the dificulty in obtaining it.

One of the beauties of Schaeffer Manufacturing.
Though getting it thru the site rep here is pretty easy.
smile.gif

The trouble is by the time you pay freight you're spending nearly as much as a full synthetic.

But, I got some 7000 anyway. The results we've seen here make it look too good to not try...

I have a big stash of clearance and sale oil, mostly all in SL. When that is gone I will need something and am not sure what. Maybe Schaeffers would be the way to go at that time, if they have a beefy, nicely additized, manly (say no to CAFE) oil. Yep, might just give it a try someday.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I have a big stash of clearance and sale oil, mostly all in SL. When that is gone I will need something and am not sure what. Maybe Schaeffers would be the way to go at that time, if they have a beefy, nicely additized, manly (say no to CAFE) oil. Yep, might just give it a try someday.

Same boat with the SL syn stash..(wave to island vic from accross the mystefriously picked clean clearance racks).. Between Schaeffers/M1EP and Amsoil offerings I am not sure what direction to take but a consolidation of brands and suppliers will be in order. In the Mitsubishiat 6 month 7500 mile warranty intervals the answer is probably going to be based on value and simplicity of obtaining it...2 more oci's of the VMS to go.

My last purchase of Schaeffer's 5w40(6 gallons)in a case cost just under $4 a qt.
It was less for the blends.
You can find area retailers but for a higher price.To even out change requirements.
I unfortunatly got hooked on Schaeffer's products after amounting a nice oil stash pre BITOG.
I use it in my truck because of 20k a year.
Two changes fall/spring.
The uoas posted show this is a good oil to extend oci's.
I have four other cars to use the stash on including a sludger Camry.This engine did well on Schaeffers for four 5k oci's of blends.
I'm in the thickerer is betterer camp!

quote:

Why do you run syn or syn-blend oil.
Performance?
Longevity?
Savings?

Blends to me are mostly a reason to pull more money out of the consumer's pocket, but there are a few proven notable exceptions: Castrol, Schaeffer's and Amsoil. They achive good wear rates and seem to last longer than most dinos (and even some snyth's).

And now with SM oils, namely the 5w-20 grade, has blurred the dino/blend lines even more.

Soapbox=on
Most M1 products are now full of sodium and aren't worth the purchase price. Why pay more for a "blend" that achieves no better results than many dinos just because it says "Mobil" on the bottle? Pennzoil, i haven't a clue about their blends, nor QS, why is that??. Valvo's durablend...blah... LOL...Has anyone actually seen Havoline or Chevron blend anywhere?
Thank you.
Soapbox=off

quote:

By the way what's the difference between semi-synthetic and synthetic blend? A matter of semantics?
Same Same

Correct, to me the terms are interchangable

I started using syn's on my first to third oci's..bought the car used. Switched to syn-blends 'cause of cost. Back to syn's 'cause of the Feb's clearances sales, Pepboy's B3G3F and Pennzoil's $15 Mastercard gift-certifcates. Overall, brings down the cost of syn's to ~$2qt.

I use blends and full syns myself primarily for better TBN retention. I don't like the shearing to near 20wt. of most of the starburst oils, so I can pick the ones that don't do this. I also feel like I need less makeup oil than with dinos.

Overall I think I get a better additive package.

Previously, I would not pay more for a syn blend because I figured that it still had all the disadvantages of a dino (because it's still mostly dino), and the disadvantage of a higher price from the synthetic. It seemed like a lose-lose to me. At this point I still feel essentially the same, but would possibly buy Schaeffer (it's over $3.10/qt from the local distributor here) based strictly on long-drain capabilities and good UOAs on a car with my engine from a few years ago on this board.

I run full-synthetic because we sometimes tow a trailer and make very high-speed trips into southern AZ, and because our engine-type gets lots of reports of "piston slap" and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back