any new cars use "conventional" or synblend oils?

We have a couple base model cars non turbo.

My wife's tucson has a 150k engine warranty but I need to have receipts for oil changes, and I like to get it tied to carfax for simplicity.

I take it in to valvoline for their conventional 5w30 oil change. About $30 out the door every time. Every 3750 miles.

Seems like the instant oil change places are marketing the syn blend product as conventional, but if you read the product information sheets it is actually a blend.

I take my escape sometimes to walmart, and get the quaker state oil. $29 dollar oil change even with 6 quarts. Even that is marketed as conventional but it is a blend.

Been looking at a few cars to replace my escape, its getting up there in miles. At least a year off, after the used car bubble bursts.

I noticed that most cars are 0w20 full synthetic. Even non turbo offerings.

Any manufacturers still allowing for a syn blend?

I was looking at a newer Mazda 5. The non turbo specifies 0w20 full syn, but the turbo car specifies 5w30 syn blend. Go figure.

You couldn't change your own oil? For $30 you can get full synthetic and an oem filter instead of the $1.50 Chinese filters they use.

Read line #2.
Sounds prudent to me, paper trailing the warranty, should things go "Kia-Blooey."

Is that a condition of some aftermarket warranty? Hyundai powertrain warranty is usually for 100K.

Looks like he has one of the questionable engines.
I would guess that he either has an extended warranty on it, either from the mfr or aftermarket.
With the history, very prudent to do.

I was looking at a newer Mazda 5. The non turbo specifies 0w20 full syn, but the turbo car specifies 5w30 syn blend. Go figure.
Synthetic is a marketing term. The "blends" or "FS" when available meet the same ILSAC and API spec.
Some grades will be group III majority base oils ( those are marketed as "synthetic" now) just to meet their
Multi-grade winter target - as in most 0w-Xx lubricants; e.g.: 0w20, 0w30.

My powerful Ford 2.0L engine recs a 5W20. I run a "synthetic" just to use an oil I "feel" is a good product. The cost delta is inconsequential and completely lost over a six month in-service interval.

Subaru recommend a Full Synthetic Subaru branded lubricant - or equivalent - but I found this verbiage "hidden" in the 2011 Forester owners manual:

Subaru Owners manual re synthetic oil_outlined.jpg

Am I understanding correctly, that you want to use syn blend as a criteria in selecting a new car, to replace the Escape, so that you can continue to take advantage of the cheap basic oil changes at Walmart and Valvoline, and have a service record that will pass inspection if you ever had to make a warranty claim?

To get any useful help here, you probably need to narrow your search criteria. What cars are you considering for the Escape replacement? Perhaps what you need to do is visit some dealerships, and thumb through the Owner's Manual of the cars you are considering.

The factory warranty is usually 100,000 miles to the original owner for Hyundais.
The factory OCI is usually 7,500 miles
The amount of dealers asking for receipts before a motor replacement has been very small-motors have been replaced for second owners-at no charge-with subsequent owners getting help from the factory. However-records are always a good idea.
My wife's previous vehicle (2017 Santa Fe XL w/the 3.3) spec'ed a conventional oil changed at 7,500 miles.
Regardless of motor-a 3,750 OCI is a "money flush"-even if DIY for $30.00.

The used car bubble will not burst in the next 12 months because new vehicles continue to escalate in pricing.

The line between "synthetic" and "conventional" has become increasingly blurred because unless you see "solvent dewaxed" in the SDS, the Group II/II+ that makes up the "conventional" component is hydrocracked just like Group III/III+, it's just that the treatment is slightly less severe so the VI isn't high enough to move it into the Group III category, though some of them get extremely close.

You can see this with Mobil's EHC (Group II+, "conventional") bases:
Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 12.24.57 PM.jpg

The VI threshold for Group III is 120. Several of those products are extremely close to that number, the first two right on the cusp.

Ford has a 5w-20 synblend.

Do you mean a CX-5? I don't know if the Mazda 5 came with a turbo offering but if you meant the CX5 manual only states:

"Only use SAE 5W-30 oil “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American Petroleum Institute (API)."

I just did a quick google of Mazda's oil recommendation for the turbo and non turbo CX5, it looks like the consensus is the Mazda 5w-30 for their turbo engines is just a synblend with a lot of moly?

Another question is there any automaker that still specs conventional? Seems everyone has moved to synthetic or synthetic blend as their bare minimum requirement.

Another question is there any automaker that still specs conventional? Seems everyone has moved to synthetic or synthetic blend as their bare minimum requirement.
I only see API starburst and current (or previous) as the "requirement"

Many vehicles are spec'ing 0w20 grade and that multi-grade is only marketed in N. America as a 'synthetic'**

The use of true conventional base oil for ILSAC spec lubricants is dead. To meet spec, the the majority base oils are higher tier hydrocracked and hydro-isomerised stocks. So "conventional" labeling is only is a means of marketing differentiation between so called "synthetic" product. @OVERKILL post#11 above goes into detail here.

I have run 5W20 in Subaru's with no detriment spring through summer. No need - or want - for a 0w in my climate - unless it has been demonstrated superior for reasons other than its winter rating.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

** Remember 'synthetic' is not a SPEC per se, there exist no API " SP-S " category on the doughnut signifying higher tier "synthetic" performance - that is all left to marketing (and the NAD / NARB decision regarding group III base oil marketing allowance)

Last edited:
We have a couple base model cars non turbo.

My wife's tucson has a 150k engine warranty but I need to have receipts for oil changes, and I like to get it tied to carfax for simplicity.

I take it in to valvoline for their conventional 5w30 oil change. About $30 out the door every time. Every 3750 miles.

Seems like the instant oil change places are marketing the syn blend product as conventional, but if you read the product information sheets it is actually a blend.

I take my escape sometimes to walmart, and get the quaker state oil. $29 dollar oil change even with 6 quarts. Even that is marketed as conventional but it is a blend.

Been looking at a few cars to replace my escape, its getting up there in miles. At least a year off, after the used car bubble bursts.

I noticed that most cars are 0w20 full synthetic. Even non turbo offerings.

I think you are limited to Ford trucks/SUV's. Almost all of their EcoBoom engines spec 5W30 blend.

Hyundai extended the factory warranty on the 2.0L Nu N/A GDI engine to 150k after I went through all the recalls. They sent me a document in the mail.
That's great. But they don't spec a 3,750 mile OCI. Do they?

Back