Syn and Dino Recommendation for Honda CR-V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a past member returning to the experts to get updated on things oil related.

Just picked up an '05 Honda CR-V with the 1.6L vtech engine. The car will be a daily driver traveling a combination of highway and suburban streets at least 20-25 miles each way to and from work, plus other trips in similar driving patterns. We live in suburban Kansas City, with hot sticky summers and pretty cold (teens and below) winters. We usually keep our cars 6-8 years and run up 130k miles.

I'm thinking about trying synthetic oil, but may stick with dino. Thought I'd come back here and solicit opinions:

1. What two synthetics are well suited for long-term use in this car. What change intervals can I confidently extend to? (In addition to lubrication and protection factors, I wonder about syn's propensity for developing leaks as the engine ages.)

2. Same as #1, but for two dino recommendations.

Your suggestions and explanations will be much appreciated.

-Doug

I too am looking at getting a Honda CR-V and have determined the perfect oil combo to be Mobil 1 5w20 and a Mobil 1 filter with 10,000 OCIs.

Dino choice would be Pennzoil 5w20.

Looks to me like a great vehicle for moderate duty driving. MPG over 30 on the hiway (I drive easy) and a great ride.

Congrats on your selection.

For dino oils I would use Havoline or Chevron 5w-20. My synoil choices would be Mobil 1 5w-20 or Amsoil 5w-20. Filters would be Mobil or Purolator, or even Honda Filtech (not Fram).

quote:

Originally posted by KCDoug:
I'm a past member returning to the experts to get updated on things oil related.

Just picked up an '05 Honda CR-V with the 1.6L vtech engine. The car will be a daily driver traveling a combination of highway and suburban streets at least 20-25 miles each way to and from work, plus other trips in similar driving patterns. We live in suburban Kansas City, with hot sticky summers and pretty cold (teens and below) winters. We usually keep our cars 6-8 years and run up 130k miles.

I'm thinking about trying synthetic oil, but may stick with dino. Thought I'd come back here and solicit opinions:

1. What two synthetics are well suited for long-term use in this car. What change intervals can I confidently extend to? (In addition to lubrication and protection factors, I wonder about syn's propensity for developing leaks as the engine ages.)

2. Same as #1, but for two dino recommendations.

Your suggestions and explanations will be much appreciated.

-Doug

Syns: 1st Choice: GC (Green or Gold) 7.5K OCI
2nd Choice: M1 5W-20 7.5K OCI
Dino: 1st Choice: Castrol GTX 5W-20 4K OCI
2nd Choice: Chevron 5W-20 4K OCI

quote:

Originally posted by Char Baby:
You mean 2.4 liter V-Tech?

That's what I thought also. I thought it was only available with the 2.4l........isn't it the Civic that has the 1.7l?

5,000 mi. OCI with Pennzoil, Chevron, or Havoline 5w-20 dino and ST Ecore or Premium Plus Filters.

Instead, spend the money that you would've spent on syn on an Auto-RX every 60,000 or so.

If you really want to use a synthetic, Amsoil XL 5w-20 performs quite well in 20wt applications for less than $5/quart.

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
5,000 mi. OCI with Pennzoil, Chevron, or Havoline 5w-20 dino and ST Ecore or Premium Plus Filters.

Instead, spend the money that you would've spent on syn on an Auto-RX every 60,000 or so.

If you really want to use a synthetic, Amsoil XL 5w-20 performs quite well in 20wt applications for less than $5/quart.

Michael

Having been away for a while, I'm a little rusty on a few things:

--What do you mean by Auto-Rx?

--What is ST (Ecore, Premium Plus)

Thanks!

Okay - I was thinking Havoline (chevron) or Pennzoil for dino, and possibly Bosch (champion) filter - I've used both on other cars. OCI 4-5k. Maybe consider the Filtech Honda filter, but don't know as much about them. People used to complain a lot about Purolators - are they okay now?

Synthetic - can I get some weigh in about Wal-Mart's house brand? Is it worth it and could I get 8-10k OCI? Are the others recommended - what is "GC" brand? - going to perform really well and allow a 10k+ OCI?

MoCraft 5-20 is great. Oreily's has them for $9.98/5qt jug.

Wal_mart has Castrol Syntec Blend 5-20 for $1.50/qt on sale now.

I would stick to the SynBlend or full Syn 5-20's and not the dino 5-20.

ST=Supertech (Walmart House Brand)
Auto-RX=Deep cleaner

I still prefer a stable 20wt in this application and GC (Castrol Syntec 0w-30 made in Germany) is just too thick. Plus, stick with a 20wt at least until you are out-of-warranty please.
wink.gif

Walmart house brand is GrpIII and I think its not the best choice for a 8-10K OCI but an excellent value.

Michael

I'll only give you one choice. It works for synthetic - syn-blends - conventional/dino.

Pennzoil in 5W-30 for your climate. I'd start-off with the full synthetic Platinum.

I had problems with my 01 CRV with M1, the oil pan gasket would weep. Changed to M7500 and the weeping came to a halt. Also would use about .25 at over 5000miles with M1 nothing with M7500...

I use Filtech filters...

Aside from the important protection and anti-sludge factors, my other interest is to go to extended oci's.

Would these scenarios work --

1. 5w-20 Dino-Syn blend (like Castrol blend or the Wal-Mart ST Synthetic): 6,500-7,000 oci?

2. 5w-20 pure synthetic (Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1): 10,000 oci?

Thanks,
-Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back