Swollen Lower Left Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
You are headed for trouble. See your doctor now.

Ya, a prescription isn't one-and-done, you gotta tweak something in your life whether its pills, diet, or lifestyle, and the doc is the one to arrange it.

If you called them up and told them what you told us, they'd see you same/next day.

I am NOT a doctor. But I do have a family member with leg swelling issues. In their case it's a combination of age, heart problems, and kidney problems. A combination of Lasix, and prescription compression socks (Ie: socks fitted specifically to them) and elevating the legs periodically throughout the day, and watching salt and liquid intake, is keeping their leg swelling under control.

If your doctor isn't able to get a handle on this, I would suggest finding a doctor who can.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by PimTac
You are headed for trouble. See your doctor now.

Ya, a prescription isn't one-and-done, you gotta tweak something in your life whether its pills, diet, or lifestyle, and the doc is the one to arrange it.

If you called them up and told them what you told us, they'd see you same/next day.

^^^^^^

Right on...

Originally Posted by 02SE
I am NOT a doctor. But I do have a family member with leg swelling issues. In their case it's a combination of age, heart problems, and kidney problems. A combination of Lasix, and prescription compression socks (Ie: socks fitted specifically to them) and elevating the legs periodically throughout the day, and watching salt and liquid intake, is keeping their leg swelling under control.

If your doctor isn't able to get a handle on this, I would suggest finding a doctor who can.

^^^^^^^

I agree... Thus why I asked so many different questions... A lot to be mindful of here...

You need to see a physician.

I hope that you can find some good help and answers. Plus solid reasonable evidence based care that is comprehensive in scope.

Originally Posted by bbhero
First off....

Are you on. Coumadin??

When was your last INR ??

What was the result ???

Even if you are on Xarelto or another similar medication I strongly believe it would be wise to monitor PTT/INR values... Just because those dumb commercials say.."no blood monitoring needed"... I would not totally trust that... Just would not.

Is your affected leg cold to the touch vs the good leg??

Is your affected leg warm to the touch??

Can you feel your pulse in your affected foot??? Strong like +2 to +3... Or weak like +1 or not palpable??

What is your cap refill like in your affected legs big toe??? Slower than 3 seconds or greater than 3 seconds??

What is your renal function like?? GFR, creatinine clearance, BUN etc etc..

What are your liver enzymes like ALT and ASP?? Elevated or normal??

Have you had a recent vascular study or doppler of your bad leg??

Do you have access or ability to get a sequential compression device?? This would be very very helpful... While at rest and at night...

Lots to think of here... Just take care of yourself.

- Coumadin yes, but I prefer to call it Warfarin.

- Last INR was a perfect 2.5

- Skin feels very very tight; like it's going to rip wide open any second. It also feels like a sunburn.

- Affected foot has a pulse, but the two toes next to the big toe have black toenails; which is something new.

- Don't know anything about my renal function or creatine level.

- Don't know anything about my enzymes.

- They gave up on the doppler study after about the 4th time. They determined that the clots weren't ever going away.

- Just now got home from work. My left leg is swollen up huge like a person with diabetes or a heart condition.

- Ibuprofen has become by best friend. I've taken 24 tablets so far today.

Get to a physician tomorrow!! Ibuprofen daily safe limit is 3200mg day. If you took 24 tablets at 200mg, thats too much. Black/blue toenails are not good. Do not put this off any longer. ER if you have to , in order to be seen tomorrow.

If you are diabetic keep your blood sugar under control. If you smoke, don't touch another cig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Get to a physician tomorrow!! Ibuprofen daily safe limit is 3200mg day. If you took 24 tablets at 200mg, thats too much. Black/blue toenails are not good. Do not put this off any longer. ER if you have to , in order to be seen tomorrow.

Solid info sir.

OP: I will pray for you my friend and I wish you the best of luck
smile.gif

Originally Posted by spasm3

If you are diabetic keep your blood sugar under control. If you smoke, don't touch another cig.

I might drop by the VA on the way home from work tomorrow. They'd get a big kick out of the leg. It's swollen crazy huge. I'm not a diabetic and I don't smoke. I quit smoking in 1983. I quit smoking by chewing on cinnamon flavored tooth picks. I would chew on them until they were literally slivers. Worked real good. I probably have the worst job for my medical condition. I walk back and forth across a parking lot non-stop for 8 hours a day. The pain in both my feet is astronomical.

Originally Posted by das_peikko

- Skin feels very very tight; like it's going to rip wide open any second. It also feels like a sunburn.

In my family members case, the skin on his lower legs did split open, then he had open, weeping wounds. He said it felt like the legs were broken, it hurt so bad. Then it was getting the excess fluid out of his legs, and wound care.

Too much Ibuprofen has it's own set of issues.

I would suggest going to the ER today, before your condition gets worse.

Best wishes on getting it resolved ASAP.

In my family members case, the skin on his lower legs did split open, then he had open, weeping wounds. He said it felt like the legs were broken, it hurt so bad. Then it was getting the excess fluid out of his legs, and wound care.

I feel for you, I have been going thru this with my mother for the past year, its been like pulling teeth getting her to the doctor. My brother, my wife and I have been doing full time in home health care for the past year. She will not go to a retirement home. All the same things you described and more! If he ever stops, or refuses to take Lasix, PM me! It can be deadly!

"Is your skin red also?"

- Affected foot has a pulse, but the two toes next to the big toe have black toenails; which is something new.

"This is telling you have a blood flow problem, and its not a short term issue, its been ongoing"

- Just now got home from work. My left leg is swollen up huge like a person with diabetes or a heart condition.

"You just might have a problem with your ticker!" This is no joking matter, its your life! Your having a problem with the longest vein in your body, the arterial vein, and you have a clot you say from a smaller vein that branches off, or into that vein, is that correct? You also know what may happen if that clot breaks free? Where does it go? Your heart. The swelling you are describing is going to make the skin die on your leg and ulcerate, if you think it hurts now, wait till it starts seeping fluid or bleeding and looks like fish scales.

Please, go to urgent care or ER instead of going to work tomorrow.

You have to make a better best friend, a Doctor. The best friend you have now isn't really fixing anything for you my friend, Go to the Doctor, you can't work anymore!

Last edited:

^^^^^^

Again... Exactly right. Great posts here... And others too.

Get to an ER. I don't think you've got time to mess around with waiting for doctors appointments, tests, referrals, etc. to find a proper diagnosis. You might get open wounds that will take WAY longer to heal, which means you can't work.

Well I went to the ER yesterday like you guys told me too. Just like I thought, there's nothing they can do. They said they're going to order me up a custom made compression sock and that's it. But I might not see the compression sock for another two months. They said the blood is pooling in my lower left leg and can't make it back to my heart. Today the the swelling has increased by 3/4 of an inch. I'm up to 18-3/4 now. Entire layers of skin are getting ripped off my feet. Today and yesterday I've been hugging onto the Ibuprofen bottle.

They said the blood is pooling in my lower left leg and can't make it back to my heart.

Ok, but what is the underlying reason for this? That's what you need to be treating. A swollen leg is just a symptom.

Well I went to the ER yesterday like you guys told me too. Just like I thought, there's nothing they can do. They said they're going to order me up a custom made compression sock and that's it. But I might not see the compression sock for another two months. They said the blood is pooling in my lower left leg and can't make it back to my heart. Today the the swelling has increased by 3/4 of an inch. I'm up to 18-3/4 now. Entire layers of skin are getting ripped off my feet. Today and yesterday I've been hugging onto the Ibuprofen bottle.

First of all, I am truly sorry for your situation.

You won't see the compression sock for two months!!! They can't do anything for you?? That sounds like blatant incompetence to me.

You can order prescription custom compression socks on Amazon and get them in two days, or from medical supply websites, as long as you have the specs of the sock prescribed for you.

I truly hope there is another alternative for your medical care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back