Swollen Lower Left Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leg gets swollen whenever I do a lot of walking. New job has me walking non stop pretty much the whole 8 hour shift.

Been on blood thinners for about 15 years because the lower left leg has several clogged up veins. I chose a spot 5.5 inches below the center of the knee cap to take a measurement in each leg for comparison. Left leg measures 18 inches in circumference. Right leg measures 16.25 inches in circumference. The swollen left leg don't bother me so much other than the skin being pulled real tight. But what does bother me is it takes longer for my left foot to recover from activity because of the decreased blood flow to the foot. Ibuprofen has become my best friend; although I don't know how healthy it is to take 12 tablets a day.

I've been looking into a couple of medical procedures such as angioplasty and atherectomy. With an atherectomy, a small incision is made at a remote location and then the surgeon goes in with a real thin cable to unclog the clots; very similar to what a professional plumber does. I started this thread to see if any of you guys have undergone treatment for Deep Vein Thromboses other than taking blood thinners for the rest of your life like they're having me do.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Go see a doctor.

Being that I'm on prescribed blood thinners, don't you think I've already seen a doctor?

My Dad had a bypass and they used the vein in his left leg...his would swell up and sometimes even leak clear fluid, IF he didn't elevate it for a while each day.

I might be wrong but doesn't using Advil cancel out the effect of the blood thinners? I've been told it neutralizes the benefit of a baby aspirin but then again I'm no doctor although I have been told I need to have my head examined
grin.gif

Taking ibuprofen will give you ulcers, Mywife started taking them a year ago despite my warnings, after one year and 1000 pills later she got ulcers.

At this point you should not be on your feet all day long, is there any other option? If there is not another position for you at you place of employment would you qualify for disability? Compression sock, elevate your leg is what you need to do. Disability seems like your most logical solution till you can handle standing and walking all day long, wish you the best.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
If there is not another position for you at you place of employment would you qualify for disability?
Swollen leg = disabled? Trying to hit the lotto?

I am not sure BITOG is the best place to obtain complex medical advice. I would be asking all these questions of your doctor. Maybe look in mayoclinic.com.

What did your doctor say about being on your feet all day?

First off....

Are you on. Coumadin??

When was your last INR ??

What was the result ???

Even if you are on Xarelto or another similar medication I strongly believe it would be wise to monitor PTT/INR values... Just because those dumb commercials say.."no blood monitoring needed"... I would not totally trust that... Just would not.

Is your affected leg cold to the touch vs the good leg??

Is your affected leg warm to the touch??

Can you feel your pulse in your affected foot??? Strong like +2 to +3... Or weak like +1 or not palpable??

What is your cap refill like in your affected legs big toe??? Slower than 3 seconds or greater than 3 seconds??

What is your renal function like?? GFR, creatinine clearance, BUN etc etc..

What are your liver enzymes like ALT and ASP?? Elevated or normal??

Have you had a recent vascular study or doppler of your bad leg??

Do you have access or ability to get a sequential compression device?? This would be very very helpful... While at rest and at night...

Lots to think of here... Just take care of yourself.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I might be wrong but doesn't using Advil cancel out the effect of the blood thinners? I've been told it neutralizes the benefit of a baby aspirin but then again I'm no doctor although I have been told I need to have my head examined
grin.gif

Ibuprofen actually increases the effects of the blood thinner. I'm not supposed to be taking it, but it's the only pain killer that works.

I've had two clots in my left calf and a pulmonary embolism. Don't know why it happened, they were never able to pinpoint anything other than I did hit my calf really hard two weeks before my first clot (some doctors thought that was why, others didn't). So I was on meds for a couple years, came off them, and almost made it a full year before getting another one (hit my calf hard again). I was 39 and in great shape with my first one.

With you, because you have had multiple clots, there probably is valve damage in the veins in your leg and the blood pools and swells. I'd try compression socks. But in all honesty you might want to see a doctor even if you're on a thinner because you may have another clot, it does happen if you're medicated.

I know no one that has had a procedure to open up arteries and veins in a calf because of clots. They used to install filters, just to keep the clots from traveling up from the leg and killing you, but those I guess aren't ideal either.

I hate taking xeralto - it's easier than Coumadin - but just the thought of having to do this the rest of my life bothers me. Plus it's a dangerous drug and I'm very physically active. And as I age I worry about internal bleeds. Good luck to you, let me know if you hear anything about a procedure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
First off....

Are you on. Coumadin??

When was your last INR ??

What was the result ???

Even if you are on Xarelto or another similar medication I strongly believe it would be wise to monitor PTT/INR values... Just because those dumb commercials say.."no blood monitoring needed"... I would not totally trust that... Just would not.

Is your affected leg cold to the touch vs the good leg??

Is your affected leg warm to the touch??

Can you feel your pulse in your affected foot??? Strong like +2 to +3... Or weak like +1 or not palpable??

What is your cap refill like in your affected legs big toe??? Slower than 3 seconds or greater than 3 seconds??

What is your renal function like?? GFR, creatinine clearance, BUN etc etc..

What are your liver enzymes like ALT and ASP?? Elevated or normal??

Have you had a recent vascular study or doppler of your bad leg??

Do you have access or ability to get a sequential compression device?? This would be very very helpful... While at rest and at night...

Lots to think of here... Just take care of yourself.

A lot of good questions. This is why you need to see a doc.

Additionally you are taking a lot of ibuprofen and also on Coumadin at the same time. It's a perfect recipe for a GI bleed.

I hope you are not playing around with this.

Originally Posted by Donald
I am not sure BITOG is the best place to obtain complex medical advice. I would be asking all these questions of your doctor. Maybe look in mayoclinic.com.

What did your doctor say about being on your feet all day?

+1

That said, do you wear compression socks, and high ones?

Sometimes my good leg swells a little bit. I use my AIROS 6 Sequential Compression machine for leg therapy. I have it set for 1 hr. therapy sessions. Ask your Dr. about information and maybe getting a prescription for one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back