Swollen / Bulging Car Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Civic

Bitterly cold temperatures. Car won't start. Tried to jump start it and it failed. Won't turn over. Kirkland battery was installed three months ago (manufacture date 08/16).

So I took out the battery to inspect it only to discover the sides are bulging a little bit. I know this is not normal. I load tested it and failed. What would be the cause of this? Is it a defect in the battery or is the cause of the bulging related to the alternator?

It froze. The cases can crack if state of charge is too low and it gets cold (batteries need to be fully charged to be freeze resistant).

Id be careful and thaw it out of the car. If it doesnt leak, charge snd load test it.

Over charging is one of the main causes of battery swelling, in bitter cold if its low on charge (from a damaged cell possibly due to over charging) it can freeze and also swell. Over charging is usually from a bad voltage regulator. You need a charging system test before the new battery gets damaged.

Regina?!?! LOL that's my old stompin' grounds! How's Wascana creek these days? stil a stinky swamp?

I wouldn't worry too much about the bulging. Most likely caused my freezing the fluid in there.
Install a battery blanket on that ASAP! I'm sure it'll liven right up once you do.

Quoted from battery university below.

Freezing a lead acid battery leads to permanent damage. Always keep the batteries fully charged because in the discharged state the electrolyte becomes more water-like and freezes earlier than when fully charged. According to BCI, a specific gravity of 1.15 has a freezing temperature of –15°C (5°F). This compares to –55°C (–67°F) for a specific gravity of 1.265 with a fully charged starter battery. Flooded lead acid batteries tend to crack the case and cause leakage if frozen; sealed lead acid packs lose potency and only deliver a few cycles before they fade and need replacement

This battery never froze:

20150518_144645_zpshxeldapb.jpg

Its sides bulged from high amp recharging (60+ amps) often at high voltage( 14.9v) in a hot engine compartment.

It achieved about 475 deep cycles to 50$ charged, over 18 months, and regualrly saw those huge recharging currents.

It is still alive, but is retired to a cooler life where it is cycled only shallowly and recharged at a more leisurley and manufacturer recommended 12 amps.

However in Canada this time of year a swollen battery case likely froze and I would not attempt to recharge it, especially not in the vehicle.

Your battery's failure is likley not the fault of the battery, but the fact that it was undercharged, and as such froze, destroying it completely. The battery manufacturer, nor the battery retailer should have to warranty it, as they are not responsible for its failure. The fault likely lays in the cause of it being undercharged in such extremely low temperatures.

Blame your car's voltage regulator, or Blame yourself for not driving it enough, or blame your kids for listening to the stereo with engine off, but do not blame the retailer or manufacturer. The battery froze because it was undercharged.

I keep reading here that heat/hot weather kills batteries. I saw a NAPA poster today that said "Cold weather kills batteries" haha.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I keep reading here that heat/hot weather kills batteries. I saw a NAPA poster today that said "Cold weather kills batteries" haha.
That lets them sell more batteries lol.

Cold weather reveals capacity compromised batteries, Heat causes the Sulfiric acid electrolyte to eat the lead plates at a faster rate.

Keep em cool and fully charged for best life, and they will still eventually die.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Both do. Hot weather equals faster self discharge (batteries sulfate if left at anything less than 100% state of charge), as well as faster side reactions.

Cold weather means slower ionic mobility and slower chemical reactions, so biggr voltage drop and poorer overall performance (battery is sluggish).

The mechanism of damage is often due to heat, but it shows up more readily in the cold.... Make sense?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Take it back for an exchange.

That's what I'd do. I, too, think it froze, and is too new to have frozen. And, while we've been cold, we haven't exactly hit our bottom end for temperatures, either.

If it were an old battery, I wouldn't worry so much; well, I'd worry, because it would likely leave me stranded sometime soon, but it wouldn't be unexpected. On a battery that was manufactured just a few months ago, this shouldn't be happening.

So I took it back to Costco today. Told the CSR I wanted to make a warranty claim. He just looked at my receipt and the battery, jotted down some info, and gave me a full refund. No questions asked.

@Lolvoguy what are you talking about? Wascana smells like a bed of roses all the time
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back