switching to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to what Patman is saying, after swithing to synthetic I would do a normal oil change (3 to 5k Miles) and later extend that to 8k miles or more. The reason, synthetics often disolve a lot of the sludge that sometimes forms in engines that use conventional oil. This sludge could overwhelm the filtering capacity of your oil filter.

If you always drive for longer periods and the engine really gets to its full operating temperature I would go for 10k miles changes.

However, at least for the first time I would do an oil analysis. That will give a good idea of how long you can go between oil changes.

Yes, if you don't do the auto-rx treatment, definitely try not to extend the first interval or two with the synthetic, because it could clean the engine quite fast.

However if you do Auto-rx, it should get rid of all of the sludge and varnish in there, so you're starting with a clean slate. It's still a good idea to wait for the second interval before going for super long drains though (anything above 10k that is)

Have never use RX7. Have used AMSOIL flush for many years.
Having said that, I bought a 1988 Saab 9000 turbo with 87K on it. Before I picked it up, the shop changed the oil to AMSOIL 10W-30 synthetic.
I changed the oil filter after 6 months (about 5,000 miles) and the oil plus filter after a year (about 10,000 miles). Total oil added was about 1/2 at (when I changed the filter). Oil was still good when I dropped it.

Hello to all. I'm new here so forgive me if this question has been answered 1000 times, but I
did a bunch of searches and couldn't find an answer. I am going to be switching my '98 Toyota
Tacoma (3.4L V6) with 102,000 miles from conventional to synthetic. My vehicle has never had
any leaks and the oil seems pretty clean whenever I check it. Do I need to have my engine
flushed before making this change? Also any suggestions on type of oil would be appreciated
(I thinking of probably using Mobil1). Thanks for any help.

It's really not an absolute necessity to do anything special when switching over, however I highly recommend using a product called Auto-rx to clean the engine out first. This way you are starting out with a clean engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back