Switching to syn. at 272816 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Oil is oil, right?
Doesn't really matter what's on the label or how it's touted.
It's all in there just to lubricate the engine.
You already know that this Pennzoil product will do fine in its primary job and that there are no OMG downsides.
Too many Chicken Littles here.
The sky ain't gonna fall.
Happy trails with your old Cruiser.

Give the OP a 20000 mile with a 12 month warranty on trial if you are so confident and are NOT one of the Chicken Littles here.

Do you seriously think that using this oil will somehow shorten the life of the OP's engine?
If so, please explain the mechanism by which this could happen.

Your engine has about 100k more miles than mine did when I switched to syn and mine is doing just fine. There were leaks of course, but I fixed them as they popped up. The engine was leaking for years before I switched and moving to syn gave me the excuse to fix them.

Do you seriously think that using this oil will somehow shorten the life of the OP's engine?

I NEVER said if the OP changed to SYN it will shorten the life of the OPs engine.

In achieving such high vehicle mileage on the oil regime OP was using I am of the view BITOG can learn from the OP.
The OP should be patted on the back for the success to-date.

Instead some want to see change to the OPs regime when I see NO benefit, rather the risk of leaks/additional seepage, additional cost ahead of time to repair the vehicle with the inconvenience of time for the vehicle off the road. This is NOT being negative rather honest and truthful.

Perhaps you could the provide the OP with a 20000 mile and 12 month warranty against leaks and assist with repairs should it eventuate.
Put your money where your advice is.

Last edited:
Virginoil, the OP didn't do this at the prompting of BITOG. It was a personal choice. If the oil was cheaper than conventional, so be it.

There is no need to "warrant" the engine against BITOG advice. Oil is oil. If it was leaking with conventional, it will leak with synthetic. Whether more or less or no change at all, is something specific to that particular engine.

I switched my 23y/o car to M1 in 2013 with 176,300km. It was already leaking a bit, but those leaks were from gaskets that were 20y/o at the time. I wouldn't blame the oil for exasperating an issue caused by ruined gaskets.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Virginoil, the OP didn't do this at the prompting of BITOG. It was a personal choice. If the oil was cheaper than conventional, so be it.

There is no need to "warrant" the engine against BITOG advice. Oil is oil. If it was leaking with conventional, it will leak with synthetic. Whether more or less or no change at all, is something specific to that particular engine.

I switched my 23y/o car to M1 in 2013 with 176,300km. It was already leaking a bit, but those leaks were from gaskets that were 20y/o at the time. I wouldn't blame the oil for exasperating an issue caused by ruined gaskets.

B320i I understand your view point and your position regarding changing at such high mileage, so be it.

The key point is the some just say go for it and without spelling out a risk of leak/seepage.
The warranty bit I threw is the reality check for some posters just posting for the sake of it and I would like to see more responsibility with due care, rather than the Laissez-faire approach.

The OP did preempt that he wanted to change off his own back regardless of leaks etc and as he said he is prepared for a rebuild anyway. I am fine with it. No loss of sleep on this one.

I would be more impressed if the OP stuck to his old regime and took the engine in original condition to 500000 miles or more.
I understand there is nothing prohibiting the OP by making the switch that engine will continue to perform.

My last post on this one.

Originally Posted By: jayg
After 30 years of dino only in the Land Cruiser, I'm doing the Pennzoil insiders deal and put in 8.3 qts of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30 yesterday. I just drained conventional Pennzoil High Mileage 10w40 with just a little under 5k miles but running it for 2 years through AK winters and sending it off for a UOA.

I am not worried about consumption or leaks on it as its not driven tremendous distances much anymore and any leaks will get addressed quickly enough. I have put synthetic in other vehicles at high mileage but I think this is the highest. Hey, the oil was free and this time I'm going to be smart and run it until I can change it outside in the Summer next year 2018 around 7-8k miles. (My wrench and oil drain plug actually froze to the driveway during the change)

I'll report back if consumption goes up or leaks happen but this isn't a thread for folks to tell me to dump it and run conventional or the sky will fall.

Question: I have a few quarts left of PPHM for top ups but I want to keep it all consistent for UOA testing but where is the best place to buy it in stores though? It feels like I never see it in when I'm shopping

I think it's worth noting that the OP made it clear that jayg was going to use the synth no matter what anybody said on here. Not sure why anybody has to offer a warranty on a decision he has already made...

I'm pretty sure PPHM is on the shelves at Walmarts around here, but imagine that stocking patterns differ around the country. Amazon should always be an option if you get desperate...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I think it's worth noting that the OP made it clear that jayg was going to use the synth no matter what anybody said on here. Not sure why anybody has to offer a warranty on a decision he has already made...

I'm pretty sure PPHM is on the shelves at Walmarts around here, but imagine that stocking patterns differ around the country. Amazon should always be an option if you get desperate...

Well, I am the OP and Jayg.....
cool.gif
but yeah, I'm just going to run the synth for 18 months and change it summer 2018 regardless of mileage. (Should be less than 7000mi and I'll be doing nothing but top offs)

After I posted where to get it, Walmarts in Anchorage started carrying the new design of PPHM 5 qt jugs whereas a few weeks ago they didn't have much of anything. I'm there often enough that it won't be a problem to pick one up when it's time.

So far:

Slight rear main weep has stayed the same.

Oil pressure builds faster when cold and I'm not able to plug in. (Though the conventional still cam up fast enough that no appreciable difference in wear would have been saved.)

Engine sounds louder when cold but I'm sure it's being protected just fine. Quiets down in minutes.

Consumption is actually slightly better over the last 1000 miles. (I'll see if this continues through the OCI or drops quickly in to my normal consumption rate. I'm expecting it to start burning roughly the same after a few thousand miles.)

Overall, nothing huge to write home about. One -41F cold start not being plugged in and it did it almost instantly. I've done that on conventional 10w40 and it acted the same however. Spot on ignition timing and a good battery and a 2F will start with just about anything in the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back