switching to from 5w30 to 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
mid-SAPS is still a compromise

Any PCMO is a compromise like vitually any decision made in engineering is.
That said, today's top Mid-SAPS like VW 504 00 are some of the best compromises to can strike up.

the ad packs are still known to not hold up to abuse as much as their full SAPS counter part

In general? Certianly not. Who does "know" this btw.?

mid-SAPS specs mostly exist to protect particulate filters

They don't 'exist' for this reason, they originally have been invented for that reason. That's a significant distinction.

then later they were spec'd for GDI engines because they're supposed to help prevent IVD

Yes, the named approvals have been further developed. Both BMW LL-04 and VW 504 00 have been revised last two years. While port injection engines don't suffer the same as GDI engines do there's still some advantage e.g. for piston and ring cleanliness with the current more advanced oils.

although high sulfur fuel is disappearing in the US, the fact that mid SAPS oils aren't able to hold up to long drain intervals with high sulfur fuel shows their inherent weakness

'Inherent weakness' when it isn't any actual issue at all? Pardon me, I just don't get that.

so why accept the compromise of an oil with a lower capacity to hold up to acids when you really see none of the benefits the oil was originally intended to provide.

As explained above it isn't more of a compromise than high-SAPS or any other PCMO is. Would you pass on buying a smartphone since it isn't able to cook you a meal? Why do you think a PCMO should be able to do things that aren't required at all?

Unless you live in death valley, 5w30 is good enough, Pennz Platinum 5w30 is all I run in my 17 Regal 2.0T, had a few trips up and down I-5 in triple digit heat and speeds in the 75/80 range, oil temps never went over 215. ;)

One thing I know is that when posters start “laughing” as their only response to well thought out and technical post you know they don’t have a clue.

One thing I know is that when posters start “laughing” as their only response to well thought out and technical post you know they don’t have a clue.
Some people just don’t possess the mental capacity to understand. Some people like to laugh at everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back