Switching oils on high mileage vehicles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being an old timer, I can tell you that back in the day, different oil companies used different types of crude. QS and Pennzoil were Penn crude and I stuck with QS. Different types of crude had different characteristics. Esso oils had a problem with paraffin build-up. So that is why old timers will say to stick with one brand.
Today I don't think it really matters. I would run a HM oil for sure.

Probably all true, I remember when Kendal was asphalt based. Blackstone and Wix have both told me they would prefer we stick with one oil at least thru several OC because of different characteristics oils still possess. Valvoline usually shows higher sodium, Mobil higher iron for accurate trends and left overs in the motor mixing with the new oil. Just saying.

WOW i have the same problem with Pennzoil on one 83 oldsmobile custom cruiser i had a little over 400,000 miles on the original engine and when i got rid of it the engine was still running. I have a couple of classic Cadillacs my parents bought new in 79 with over 200,000 miles again engines running like new all on Pennzoil.

Personally i like Pennzoil...

I'm not choosing PYB over M1HM.
but I've never liked Pennzoil (and never will).

two lines of thought:

1: do what ever you want, it probably won't matter at the proper interval.

2: PYB every 3k got these hard working trucks to 400k miles ... do you think you can improve on that?

Originally Posted By: meborder
I'm not choosing PYB over M1HM.
but I've never liked Pennzoil (and never will).

two lines of thought:

1: do what ever you want, it probably won't matter at the proper interval.

2: PYB every 3k got these hard working trucks to 400k miles ... do you think you can improve on that?

Why don't you like Pennzoil?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
WOW i have the same problem with Pennzoil on one 83 oldsmobile custom cruiser i had a little over 400,000 miles on the original engine and when i got rid of it the engine was still running. I have a couple of classic Cadillacs my parents bought new in 79 with over 200,000 miles again engines running like new all on Pennzoil.

Personally i like Pennzoil...

+1.

It ain't broke so don't fix it.

Stay with the Pennzoil. It's a great product and the cheapest alternative in your instance.

That's called a win - win.

It would be interesting to see just how clean these old, well worn engines look after a lifetime of Pennzoil.

Your managing a fleet. Your fleet has to conform to your business practices.

All the oils being discussed here are good. Some quite good. None will harm an engine. All your trucks are likely high mileage. They all work for a living and pull trailers. I'd call that severe duty. Plus you have TX temps to deal with in summer.

Since the engines won't last forever, I'd shy away from M1 due to cost. I'd also shy away from extended drain intervals because I'd like to see what is coming out of the motors via magnetic drain plug (looking for metalic particles) and UOA's. These motors might be shedding internals unknown to the owner...

I'd like to see the seals kept soft and pliable to reduce oil leaks in the future and these motors certainly qualify as "high mileage" so that is where I'd go. Get bulk HM oil at business discount. Run good over-sized filters and up the grade to 10W-40 or 15W-40 at least. These motors have "clearances" and will benefit from the added cushion from thicker hot film.

What oil do you run in the landscape equipment? If fleet oil like Delo400, just use that as it's readily available in your parts stream. If the yard equipment gets more than one type/brand of oil, then narrow it down to two choices (minus the 2-stroke oils) and make one HM for vehicles
smile.gif

Simplify your parts stream and processes if you can. It's just good business
smile.gif

PYB has been shown, at least recently, to have at least 30% synthetic content due to Shell's excess GTL base oil supply-I'd get a 55 gallon drum of 10W30 from my local Shell jobber, stick a pump in it, & call it a day! Top off any trucks that burn it.

Originally Posted By: johndeereandchev
Long story short, I've always been a Valvoline or Mobile 1 man. The previous owner said he NEVER ran anything, but regular pensoil, $14. / 5 quart in every truck and suggested I stick to the same oil, every 3k miles.

Any reasonable, certified oil that's been used religiously over that time period every 3000 miles will have served the vehicle quite well. MaxLife, M1, and PYB are all fantastic oils. Considering the price for which you can get Pennzoil, and assuming there are no issues with the oil (i.e. consumption or leaks or something you're trying to address with switching) and you're not trying to extend OCIs, I can't see any reason to switch.

What has been run is cheaper, and obviously effective, I wouldn't change.

If you want your fleet all on the same bulk stuff, then switch to the cheapest of the two bulk options (maxlife ???) and stick to it for the next however long.

If the Pennzoil is showing 400,000 mile longevity, and you have the evidence to back that with these trucks, I'd consider moving the fleet en masse to that.

I wouldn't change brands every OCI, but would move in whatever direction was more comfortable for the business.

Particularly in fleet/business applications, the heart should be out of the equation.

(At work, they put Delo400 in everything...because it can literally go in everything, maybe not the individual best choice, but can do it).

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: buster
It is definitely preferred to stick with one brand/chemistry if you can. While all oils are compatible, mixing is not preferred on a regular basis.

Really?
shocked.gif

that's what I've been told by the chemists that formulate motor oils, yes.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
PYB has been shown, at least recently, to have at least 30% synthetic content due to Shell's excess GTL base oil supply-I'd get a 55 gallon drum of 10W30 from my local Shell jobber, stick a pump in it, & call it a day! Top off any trucks that burn it.

Really, so PYB isnt a great semisynthetic oil, nowadays... or is it?
sleep.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back