Switching from MC to PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those of you familiar with the Ford Focus, a 'special' oil filter was required for the Zetec 2.0L. Though I never really got to the bottom of why, the Motorcraft filter that used to be spec'ed was FL-2005. This filter had a second bypass valve (at least, that's what I believe it is) located in it. Supposedly, this was needed to make sure there was plenty of oil available at start up. Most of the aftermarket oil filter brands also designed their filters this way; though several did not, which did somewhat limit oil filter choices for this engine/my car.

Anyhow, to get to my point....Ford no longer spec's the FL-2005 filter for the Focus. In fact, as far as I've been able to determine, they stopped making that filter all together! They are now spec'ing the Motorcraft FL-400S, which does NOT have the second ADBV. To me, there are only a few reasons as to why this happened. First, since the Zetec isn't produced any longer, Ford decided to save money on what had to be a more expensive filter to build, and figured a similar, though perhaps less-than-ideal, filter would work. Or, perhaps, long term studies showed that the second ADBV (or whatever it is) wasn't really needed to begin with. Regardless of my conspiracy theories, I have found that the Purolator PureOne filter for this engine does in fact still have the second ADBV. With all the other good things being said about the PureOne, I think I'm going to make the switch. I have always used the Motorcrafts, but it does somewhat concern me that for some reason, a different type of oil filter is now being spec'ed.

The one big drawback that the 2nd ADBV design has is that it makes it impossible to pre-fill the filter with oil when doing an oil change. Therefore, the engine will always have the small bit of time at start-up after the oil change when there is no oil circulating. Heck, maybe that was the reason Ford decided to do away with the 2nd ADBV FL-2005 filter?! Maybe it would be better to stick with the FL-400S? Who knows? The only thing I do know is that out of all the cars I've personally owned, I've never had one that's had its' oil filter design change several years later.

Last edited:
I thought the difference was the bypass setting? These would be the Wix 51315 and the 51516. The 51315 being the Ztec filter. The 51315 is rated at 16psi and the 51516 rated at 8-11. My ex had a Focus ZX3 Ztec she bought new, and always used the 51315 filter that it called for. My current has a Contour with a Ztec, and I've been using the 51516 with it and have not noticed any problems. I posted on here before that many lube places and service places simply use the 51516 for all applications. This also fits many Chrysler's so it is nice to stock one part number. Another thing to consider is that the Ztec filter cost more in most filter lines, and is harder to find. Pep Boys only caries the standard filter in its Mobil 1 Line.

One more thing that is strange, is that if you look up the two filters through Purolator, they both state 12-15 Psi for the bypass.... Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a peek down through the center of the filter. On the FL-400S, you can see straight through to the other end - just like with practically every other oil filter out there. However, on the FL-2005 (and equivalent aftermarkets), you can't see in at all. There is a second "valve" right inside. I've always believed it to be a type of ADBV, but have never heard a definitive answer.

Originally Posted By: ZiTS
Regardless of my conspiracy theories, I have found that the Purolator PureOne filter for this engine does in fact still have the second ADBV. With all the other good things being said about the PureOne, I think I'm going to make the switch. I have always used the Motorcrafts, but it does somewhat concern me that for some reason, a different type of oil filter is now being spec'ed.

The one big drawback that the 2nd ADBV design has is that it makes it impossible to pre-fill the filter with oil when doing an oil change. Therefore, the engine will always have the small bit of time at start-up after the oil change when there is no oil circulating. Heck, maybe that was the reason Ford decided to do away with the 2nd ADBV FL-2005 filter?! Maybe it would be better to stick with the FL-400S? Who knows? The only thing I do know is that out of all the cars I've personally owned, I've never had one that's had its' oil filter design change several years later.

The Pure One equivalent of the FL-400S is the PL20195. I run this in my Saturn as a longer option to the oem filter. I can look down into the filter all the way to the dome end where I can see the valve. There is no reason why you can't pre-fill it with oil. I do this as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I thought the FL-400S equivalent was the PL25230?

Purolator's website shows the equivalent is L20195, and the Pure One version is PL20195. I have used it in my Saturn with no problems.

That's odd. In my sister's ZX2 it recommends a FL-400S or a PL25230, which is the same size/thread. Must have a different type of bypass or something that the ZX2 motor requires.

sL1driver,
I'm aware the FL-400S/PL20195 doesn't have the valve and is a straight shot through. That's what I said (about the FL-400S, anyway). But when you do a search by vehicle make/model/engine, the PureOne recommended is the PL25230, which DOES have the second valve. This is equivalent to the original Ford recommended Motorcraft, the FL-2005. On these filters, you can not pre-fill them due to the second valve.

ThirdeYe,
That's not odd at all. That's exactly what my point was. Ford now recommends the FL-400S, where they used to recommend the FL-2005, and Purolator recommends the PL25230, which is equivalent to the FL-2005. FoMoCo has changed their recommendation, but the aftermarket filter manufacturers appear to not have done so, at least as of yet...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZiTS
sL1driver,
I'm aware the FL-400S/PL20195 doesn't have the valve and is a straight shot through. That's what I said (about the FL-400S, anyway). But when you do a search by vehicle make/model/engine, the PureOne recommended is the PL25230, which DOES have the second valve. This is equivalent to the original Ford recommended Motorcraft, the FL-2005. On these filters, you can not pre-fill them due to the second valve.

Sorry man, I misunderstood what you were saying.
54.gif
See, that's what I get for taking pain meds and staying up late looking at BITOG posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back