Switching from dexcool to GO5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change my 02 firebird to GO5, I just replaced the factory dexcool with Peak longlife which i assume is dexclone. Is it safe to drain the rad,then fill with distilled water then run for a few mins then dump and fill with distilled water etc a few times. Then add the GO5 full strength to the distilled water mix thats left in the engine?

You nailed it except fot the last step. Get a inexpensive coolant tester and ensure that you end up with a 50/50 mix.

It helps if can drain the block thru the block drain plug. If you drain the block and add full strength coolant, you will end up with an overly concentrated mixture.

Originally Posted By: 99TA
I want to change my 02 firebird to GO5, I just replaced the factory dexcool with Peak longlife which i assume is dexclone. Is it safe to drain the rad,then fill with distilled water then run for a few mins then dump and fill with distilled water etc a few times. Then add the GO5 full strength to the distilled water mix thats left in the engine?
???? You've lost me here agent 99, JK!

1. Peak LL is not G-05, but rather a dex-clone with 2eha. Now, Peak Global Lifetime contains no 2eha, but not technically G-05.

2. If you can't find the block drains I'd do several distilled water drains and refills.

3. Find your systems capacity, fill full strength coolant after last drain to 50% concentration of system capacity. Then finish top off with distilled water, burp, might take a few. And, then do same 50% to recovery tank.

Not sure that 02 Bird requires distilled H2O, but it won't hurt.

HTH,
J

Yes ty i know peak LL is not GO5, BUt its all i could get and it needed to be changed badly. I was just posting up what i have done so far. I wish i could trust the Peak LL but anything related to dexcool makes me worry.

I have seen utterly no evidence that Peak LongLife contains 2EHA (the primary additive in Dex-Cool). Show me.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I believe someone here has correspondence with Peak in which they state it does. We know the other Dexclones do contain 2EHA.

I am one of the lucky few that Peak responded to via email. Yes Peak LL does contain 2EH.

"Thanks for your e-mail. The PEAK LONGLIFE does contain the 2EH, and the PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME does not.

PEAK Tech Dept."

FYI: interesting coolant compatibility chart at the bottom of the PDF posted by a coolant recycle firm.

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX
I have seen utterly no evidence that Peak LongLife contains 2EHA (the primary additive in Dex-Cool). Show me.
You asked for it....You got it... ponderosa....Theme from old Toyota ad.
LOL.gif

Read tenderlion's post (2nd) here , an email from Peak. Also smith (above) got the same answer.

And 99, I misunderstood your post, my bad. I thought you were calling PLL, G-05.
blush.gif
Don't know how long you've run the PLL, but I guess if it's bothering you then you should go forward with your plan.

Me, I'm running Prestone AM/M, dexclone, in 2 vehicles with no issues.

I think your plan to flush is a good one with the change over. Peak Global Lifetime is another option to consider, if you can find it. Stick to the full strength, no matter what you choose.

The factory fill is dexcool and I would stick with it unless you have plastic intake manifolds. I have seen some of the spec sheets on it , and the corrosion inhibitors last well beyond 5 years. My personal experience is using in my Saturn for 12 years without any cooling related problems. It does not work well on lead solder joints in a brass radiator but this is not an issue on newer cars.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
The factory fill is dexcool and I would stick with it unless you have plastic intake manifolds. I have seen some of the spec sheets on it , and the corrosion inhibitors last well beyond 5 years. My personal experience is using in my Saturn for 12 years without any cooling related problems. It does not work well on lead solder joints in a brass radiator but this is not an issue on newer cars.

face:palm.

Originally Posted By: onion
Originally Posted By: Dan55

face:palm.

I hear you Onion, but there is no stopping them. Einstein is credited with saying: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." I guess if they use Dexclones in their autos over and over, maybe they won't get the Dexsludge. BTW, do Saturns have coolant in their IMs?

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
BTW, do Saturns have coolant in their IMs?

Some do, even the 4 bangers! And guess what; they are known to have intake leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back