switching from 5w20 to 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Honda Accord and 2001 Ford Escape. 5w20 is recommended for both. I was planning on switching to 5w30 due to the Valvoline deal. Would this be ok? I know it affects the mpg but is it a major difference? Any advice would be helpful.

No, it will not make a major difference and probably will not affect gas mileage. If you are worried about warranty issues, use 5w-20 in your Accord.

Originally Posted By: mannymachine
I have a 2009 Honda Accord and 2001 Ford Escape. 5w20 is recommended for both. I was planning on switching to 5w30 due to the Valvoline deal. Would this be ok? I know it affects the mpg but is it a major difference? Any advice would be helpful.

Valvoline Synpower is available in either 5W30 or 10W30 in gallon jugs at Kragen ?

I would stay with 5W20 for the '09 Accord, but you can try 5W30 Synpower in Ford Escape.

what about synthetic 5w30 would that shear also?? I was always for the 5w20 but lately in the summer i think 5w30 syn would be just as good and if not better what do u think..

The fleet I worked at for a long time had some Ford rangers that "required" 5w20 and 5w30 or 10w30 was put in them at certain oil changes and nothing happened to them. I am not sure of all the finite details of the switch, but all the 5w20 company trucks are still rolling with their O.E. engines.

Go for it, but only for Escape since the warranty is over on that car. On the Accord I would stick with 5W20, unless the mileage is getting close to the warranty limit.

I switched my Mazda to 5W30 two OCI's ago, as PP was on sale in 5w30 and 10w30 grades only, I never noticed any gas mileage difference, the engine runs as it would on 5w20 and no audiable difference in engine operation, but I noticed that this engine runs the same on all kinds of different oils, I run Castrol, MC, dealer bulk and PP ,all in 5w20 grades when I was under warranty, and I never felt or heard any differences, so when I switched to 5w30 same thing happened.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
They sell synpower in 5W-20, why don't you get that?

Exactly. The 20 grade oils are doing just fine, and are what the mfg specs for both the OP's vehicles. I'd stick with what the mfg suggests. JMO

I own an Acura MDX and the dealer always used 5W-30 even though it speced for 5W-20. You can use either one and still be fine under your warranty. My Acura service manager even said that he thought the 5W-30 would be better for longevity of the Acura V6 motor. He should know because he used to race for Honda/Acura and is a Master tech...

My Duratechs call for 5-20. I started them off with M1 5-30EP. However I switched to M1 5-20EP a few months ago and those Duratechs run very smooth and quite. I have learned to stick with the oil wt. the engine builders say to use. No advantage to the heavier oil as I can see.

I'd use the 5w30 with no worries. I've had a number of vehicles spec'd for 5w20 that have seen a steady diet of 5w30 with no long-term problems. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with 5w20, but it certainly won't hurt to use 5w30 instead.

Ive run 5w20 & 5w30 in a 3.0 duratech's in a tribute & mazda6, the only difference between the 2 is the motor was quieter with 5w30. Everything else, namely mpg remained the same.

Last edited:
...because 1 grade is available on sale, and yours isn't? That's silly thinking. Use what the manual says. Save a few bucks elsewhere.

The reason I do not buy 5w20 is because if I want to get in on the current Valvoline deal in which you have to purchase one gallon jugs. 5w20 does not come in the gallon jugs but 5w30 does. What about 10w20? Thanks for all your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back