Switching back to dino oil? Can it handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I currently own a 2009 Mazda 3 Sedan. It has the 2.0 4 cylinder motor and has 50,850 miles on it. No current motor issues to report. It runs well and has been mostly trouble free since we bought it 3 years ago.

We live in southwest Florida and it is driven approximately 9,500 miles per year. My wife drives the car 80% of the time and she drives it like shes a race care driver......
I do maintain it well and change the oil and filter every 4000-5000 miles. I change it twice a year (every six months) due to an extended warranty she got when she purchased it. We do not want any reason for a denied warranty.

If it was up to me (and we had no warranty) I would use a good synthetic oil and change it one a year. I have used OEM Filters (Purolator) and Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W-20 oil since purchasing the car. The Motorcraft oil prices have risen a lot over the last year. I am thinking of changing to a standard conventional oil due to having to change it twice a year. Whats everyone opinion on the durability of a conventional with the heat and type of driving my wife does? Can a PYB or VWB (or similar) handle a 5000 mile OCI with these conditions?

If you are going to change it twice a year witn dino, won't that actually cost more than once a year with syn?

Generally I buy oil at Advance Auto; its close to my house. The Motorcraft was $29.99 for the 5 quart jug at my last oil change. Don't think semi should be priced so high. Only bought it because that's all I have used in the vehicle.

Walmart has MC synblend for under $20.

As for switching back and fourth, I have done it numerous times on both of my vehicles.

In fact, a few hours ago, I drained m1 0w20 for PYB 5w20 in the Focus!

You can hardly throw a rock in most of Florida without hitting a Walmart.
Walmart may be a faux discounter on many if not most goods, but they are the go-to for regular price motor oil.
Surely you must drive by one on a regular basis?

Everyday price of any type of oil at any auto parts chains is more than Walmart by a large margin. Unless they have it on sale I don't buy oil and/or filter at any store.

Pennzoil Gold at less than $20 a jug is a good choice with Fram Tough Guard oil filter. For now, stay away Purolator oil filter until they correct the tearing problem.

Originally Posted By: Alaskanmont
Generally I buy oil at Advance Auto; its close to my house. The Motorcraft was $29.99 for the 5 quart jug at my last oil change. Don't think semi should be priced so high. Only bought it because that's all I have used in the vehicle.

As noted, Walmart has the best everyday prices on motor oil. I do not like WM, to say the least, but that is true.

But: The AAP five quarts plus a filter specials are pretty good deals. See the AAP site or a retail store for details. Also, if you like Motorcraft semi-syn, check your local Firestone shop. They have a $19.99 special now on a Kendall GT-1 oil change. Last I heard Motorcraft and Kendall are cousins or maybe twins. Note that it's more like $23-$24 OTD after the "oil disposal fee"; still pretty good for what you get, having a pro change it for you.

Anyway, I switched from M1 to Mobil conventional (whatever that was called circa 2005-09; I ran M1 when I could afford it) maybe 3 times in my '04 Chevy Classic. No problems going in either direction. You should be fine.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

As noted, Walmart has the best everyday prices on motor oil. I do not like WM, to say the least, but that is true.

But: The AAP five quarts plus a filter specials are pretty good deals. See the AAP site or a retail store for details. Also, if you like Motorcraft semi-syn, check your local Firestone shop. They have a $19.99 special now on a Kendall GT-1 oil change. Last I heard Motorcraft and Kendall are cousins or maybe twins. Note that it's more like $23-$24 OTD after the "oil disposal fee"; still pretty good for what you get, having a pro change it for you.

Anyway, I switched from M1 to Mobil conventional (whatever that was called circa 2005-09; I ran M1 when I could afford it) maybe 3 times in my '04 Chevy Classic. No problems going in either direction. You should be fine.

Not a huge fan of then either ... but their oil and filters are a great price. And it's not like buying them at advance auto or auto zone isn't supporting the same thing.

That's the only thing I buy at Walmart, come to think of it it

Walmart is the only place I buy oil. They're all giant corporations that don't care about me, but as a customer Walmart saves me ten bucks a jug. That counts for something.

That's your problem right there, you're buying your oil at Advance Auto.

Walmart has Mobil Super for $14.17 and it would breeze through 5000 miles.

Just an FYI..
I have a friend that works at AAP and starting June 1st, 5 qts of MC synthetic blend and a MC filter will be on sale for approx. $25. I have a '14 Focus ST and got a years worth of OCI last time it was on sale. BTW I live by Orlando.

Seems like a good idea switching back. I ran synthetic oils for 100,000 miles in 2 different vehicles and went back to conventional to see how they fared. To me, there was absolutely no difference except I had more money in my wallet. I did not do crazy long intervals or had any UOA's performed with the synthetics. GM OLM had my driving about 5500 OCI for each vehicle. PYB does very well for me.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Walmart is the only place I buy oil. They're all giant corporations that don't care about me, but as a customer Walmart saves me ten bucks a jug. That counts for something.

^^This!!
11.gif

Head to Advance this month and get 5 qts. of QSUD full synthetic and a Pure One filter for $21.99.

Hard to beat.....

In fact, you can't touch that at Wallyworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back