Switched to PP from RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I'm new here...been reading for the past couple months and have learned a lot from you guys. I bought a 2005 Mustang Gt in August and did my frst oil change using RP in November. After reading several posts on here about PP I decided to make the change. I just PP 5w-20 in and drove around town running a few errands. It might just be my mind but I swear my engine is running more quietly. At the rate I'm going now I'll be lucky to put six thousand miles on her a year. I think I'll be sticking with this oil if things continue this way. Plus I can get it at Wal Mart along with the Motorcraft filter.

Well it does have 1 less line, so maybe less robust. Then again the more rounded shape of the new one may get better flow. Wow, it is very easy to get carried away with this oil stuff. J/K either good. Enjoy the savings.

Originally Posted By: JBD27
First of all I'm new here...been reading for the past couple months and have learned a lot from you guys. I bought a 2005 Mustang Gt in August and did my frst oil change using RP in November. After reading several posts on here about PP I decided to make the change. I just PP 5w-20 in and drove around town running a few errands. It might just be my mind but I swear my engine is running more quietly. At the rate I'm going now I'll be lucky to put six thousand miles on her a year. I think I'll be sticking with this oil if things continue this way. Plus I can get it at Wal Mart along with the Motorcraft filter.

Penzoil Platinum is very good oil and if you are happy with it use it. However, do not believe all the negative [censored] shoveled on this iste about RP. The overwhelming vast majority of those saying RP is so bad have never even used it. RP is great oil and should you choose to go back to it you will be using an excellent product.

PP or RP either is very good.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Penzoil Platinum is very good oil and if you are happy with it use it. However, do not believe all the negative [censored] shoveled on this iste about RP. The overwhelming vast majority of those saying RP is so bad have never even used it. RP is great oil and should you choose to go back to it you will be using an excellent product.

PP or RP either is very good.

I agree with you that RP is a great oil. It's just today I was sitting at the same light that I always do when I leave and I couldn't hear the ticking sounds that I usually hear out of my engine. I change the oil every three or four months so I figured I could go with PP and be fine. If I was putting more miles on I would have probably stayed with RP.

Funny because I have always found that RP has quieted my engines down more than any other brand. However, as has been said here before different applications respond to different oils in different ways. If the PP works better than run it. It is very good stuff. I actually have PP 5W-20 in my 08 HEMI Ram riight now. I replaced the FF with it at 1500 miles and will run it out to 5K. I am going to run RP 5W-20 at that change and from then on. If for some reason the engine gets noisey I would go back to the PP or maybe QS HP.

Does Ford now call for 5W-20 in the 4.6L? I had the prior gen and it was spec'd for 5W-30.

Yeah just checked the manual online for the 05 Mustang. 5W-20 it is...

I've got an '08 Mustang GT and it is spec'd for 5w-20. I am still trying to decide what oil to use myself. I know about the ticking sound you speak of but I don't have it on mine, but my girlfriends Grand Marquis (same basic 4.6) occasionally has it with Pennzoil regular. This spring I'm going to try Redline in my 'stang and PP in the Grand Marquis. I'll do 5 month OCI's and see how that works. Both get Purolator Purone filters....of course.

Most of their gas vehicles call for 5W-20 but there are exceptions. I know there is a hi perf Mustang that callls for 5W-50 or some crazy weight like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TSHACK
2009 Roush just came off the truck & it takes 5W20.

The Roush P-51 Mustang limited edition takes it. Shelby GT500 takes it too. Motorcraft says the oil is the recommended oil for supercharged engines.

I've read that some people are still putting 5W-30 in the 4.6 because they say it protects better. Something about Ford only wanting 5W-20 for better gas mileage. I'll stick with what it's specd for. I just can't see spending $9 for a quart of oil because I change it frequently.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Most of their gas vehicles call for 5W-20 but there are exceptions. I know there is a hi perf Mustang that callls for 5W-50 or some crazy weight like that.

FordGT runs 5w50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back