Switched M1 to PU and Sending for my First UOA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After pouring over the UOA's and other info. here I've decided to switch the oil in the S2000, for the first time ever, from M1 to PU. The differences may be insignificant but it just seems to be that extra little bit better which is enough for me.
Plus I just packed up a sample of the old M1 to send to Blackstone for my first UOA! Who'd have thought that used motor oil could get me excited?!?

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Good move. I haven't used M1 since PP hit the market. Now I use PU. IMHO a better oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Good move. I haven't used M1 since PP hit the market. Now I use PU. IMHO a better oil.

+1

I agree, at least in the grades commonly required for North American vehicles.

Well, maybe to bring it down a dozen or so notches, the oil is a complete waste of money unless you're running it for about 20k OCIs, but you're probably not. What is the OCI? And who cares if it's 12 irons instead of 14 on the UOA? How does that relate to cost savings or life extension of the engine? (answer: it doesn't) Expensive meaningless psychological entertainment! But if it gets you excited, at least we know what to get for your birthday! Don't worry, entire industries are built upon the same principles and you're in a lot of company, even if it doesn't make any rational sense whatsoever. Cheers!

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Well, maybe to bring it down a dozen or so notches, the oil is a complete waste of money unless you're running it for about 20k OCIs, but you're probably not. What is the OCI? And who cares if it's 12 irons instead of 14 on the UOA? How does that relate to cost savings or life extension of the engine? (answer: it doesn't) Expensive meaningless psychological entertainment! But if it gets you excited, at least we know what to get for your birthday! Don't worry, entire industries are built upon the same principles and you're in a lot of company, even if it doesn't make any rational sense whatsoever. Cheers!

Why exactly are you here? You've got nothing of any value to post so you feel the need to rain on someone parade.
Are you that unhappy you need to bring others down too?
How about just not post. You've added noting to this,or any thread I've seen you post in. You're angry or butthurt or just a jerk. I can't say why but that's what I've seen from you til now.

Op. I look forward to seeing you're results. I firmly believe sopus is better than Mobil in most grades so I am anxious to see if you're results reflect my thoughts.

Thanks for posting. Ignore the jerks

Originally Posted By: NO2
Have you noticed any noise difference between M1 and PP, or M1 and PU?

In my vehicles M1 made more noise but not since the SN flavours came out. Pennzoil platinum was always a quiet running oil in everything I've used it in.
I'll be running ultra after this M1 run for winter so I'll be able to comment between the 2 next month.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo

Why exactly are you here? You've got nothing of any value to post so you feel the need to rain on someone parade.
Are you that unhappy you need to bring others down too?
How about just not post. You've added noting to this,or any thread I've seen you post in. You're angry or butthurt or just a jerk. I can't say why but that's what I've seen from you til now.

Op. I look forward to seeing you're results. I firmly believe sopus is better than Mobil in most grades so I am anxious to see if you're results reflect my thoughts.

Thanks for posting. Ignore the jerks

LOL, thanks for the lack of anything at all useful but at least we know where you stand: On the side of marketers and salesmen. What exactly was the benefit to the engine, the operating costs, or the car? I don't remember. And you don't care.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Doesn't your S2000 have a maintenance minder?

And what does the manual say? What does your overkill routine offer over what's in the manual? LOL
crackmeup2.gif

Of all the name brand oils I had been using over 30+ years in my cars, synthetic and dino, I never detect any difference between one brand to another when I used the same weight, the exceptions were: When I first used Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 in MB E430 in place of M1 0W40 the engine was much quieter at any engine speed. The engine was very quiet in the first 6-7 years, then it was so noisy it sounded like a diesel engine. I had PP 5W20 in my stash for few years so I decided to try it.

Lexus LS400 was quieter with Peak 5W30 than any other brand of the same weight. It also quieter with xW20 oil.

The S2000 engine is fairly noisy, especially when I rev to redline, dino or syn, M1 or VSP or PP or Chevron Supreme or Halvoline Deposit Shield makes no difference.

I'm amaze that people can feel the difference between brands.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
After pouring over the UOA's and other info. here I've decided to switch the oil in the S2000, for the first time ever, from M1 to PU. The differences may be insignificant but it just seems to be that extra little bit better which is enough for me.
Plus I just packed up a sample of the old M1 to send to Blackstone for my first UOA! Who'd have thought that used motor oil could get me excited?!?

The extra peace of mind is worth it for me. Enjoy the new oil.

Originally Posted By: NO2
Have you noticed any noise difference between M1 and PP, or M1 and PU?

Haven't tried PP but having run nothing but M1 in the S2000 before, I noticed immediately after the PU that the engine sounds quieter/smoother. I've always found this phenomenon odd, since the oils are the same weight, even though lots of people experience it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Doesn't your S2000 have a maintenance minder?

And where did you get PU from? :p

It does have a maintenance minder, which, based on most of the UOAs I've seen on Hondas is right on the money, however in my case there are track days in play so I shorten my OCI significantly.

I got it from Amazon. Free shipping and about $6 cheaper than my local auto store. Great deal if you don't need it that day.

Everyone will have different experiences. I am not one to notice differences in sound but my brother just switched from regular Mobil synthetic to PU in his Corolla and he will be switching back to Mobil. If you are doing a reasonable OCI, your engine will not notice the difference between the two oils when it comes to longevity, and this is something the UOA will not reveal.

UOA's are only useful for finding the best OCI for your specific vehicle. The wear they show is useful for that specific vehicle and conditions, and even then do not tell the whole story.

In the M1 vs PP debate they both are quality oils that meet many many specs and will provide great protection. Neither in the proper grade/specs will cause your engine to explode into a million pieces. M1 is an extremely popular oil and naturally you will hear alot about it.

Just because you "think" your engine sounds louder on it, or isn't as smooth as XX oil does not mean it is bad.

As I stated in my OP, I realize the difference is largely insignificant; also I don't think M1 is a bad oil. This is about my research/interpretation of the information I could find and buying what I view is the best oil for my money regardless of any difference it may or may not make.

(the engine really does seem quieter, though)

oil is oil IMO. Buy the sales like me
grin.gif

That said, I just got PP on sale for $27 with a $10 MIR
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back