Switched from Mobil 1 to Havoline Convential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I went ahead and drained the Mobil 1 and took off the AC Delco filter. I put on a Purolator filter and dumped in Havoline convential oil. The expense of Mobil 1 couldn't be justified in my mind. Yes, I did my research and took the advice from the many folks on this site. Of all the convential oils I have run in all the cars I have owned Havoline flows faster, reduces start up knock and rattle quicker than any convential oil I have ever used. Too boot it does not have the burn off like other conventional oils like Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State and not to mention Kendall which has been the worst as far as burn off is concerned. Would appreciate any and all comments.

Sounds like you had a consumption issue and if the Havoline uses less oil and works then that is the correct decision.

I recently went the other way, I had seal leaks and did the RX treatment. Finally replaced the seals this past summer but went with a 15W40 in the hope consumption would get better. It was around a quart every 3000 miles prior to the seals being replaced with the 15W40. It did not get better. SO I went back to my Amsoil 10W30 and with the low NOACK numberl so far, very early on it seems that the consumption has gone down to about a quart every 5000-6000 miles, so lighter weight seems to work better will see.

If the Havoline works for you then do not feel quilty about leaving Mobil 1.

It seems to be so engine dependent!

Rob, like you, I got better results & lower consumption in my 4 cyl. Altima with Havoline than I did with Mobil 1.

But in my V6 Maxima...you guessed it, I got better wear and lower consumption with Mobil 1 than with Havoline.

dunno.gif

Rob, did you feel like M1 was just not worth it, on par or were you also having a consumption issue that added cost? I have found Pennzoil to be very good at reduced consumption, unless the thicker viscocity requirement is the issue, also.

No matter, unless a car requires synthetics, the better Group II+ like Havoline makes them harder to justify.

The vehicle is a 2003 Pontiac Aztec with a 3.4 Liter (207 c.i.d.) engine. There was zero consumption with the Mobil 1 which I feel is an excellent oil. I had used Havoline previously with the same results. The Kendall I had used was the old formula before the merger happened. From what I see the new Kendall is far better than the old formula. The reason for the switch was purely economics. I know that Mobil 1 can be run for longer periods than 3,000 miles but, this old dog just can't break old habits. I can't stand to drain oil that is black a tar and feel my motor is holding up under those conditions. I know there are those that know far better than me about this subject. I'am just hard headed to change. I use both the conventional and synthetic Havoline. I use 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. I'am using the 5w-30 conventional right now for a rinse for the next 3,000 miles and then will switch to the synthetic there after. As for the filter I use a white Purolator filter, not the Pure One dark blue one. I had a little tick and clatter from the AC Delco filter but, I'am not getting it from the Purolator. The info the the AC Delco are going to be made by foreign sources also makes me nervous. GM is messing with a great product by sourcing out that filter.

Well Rob, your logic defies me. What your doing is fine, but I assumed you were going to Havoline dino and not the syn variety. That's fine, but it's still somewhat expensive and I don't see the TBN retention like M1 has.
dunno.gif
I'm having a hard time with Havoline syn here.

AC Delco filters work well and the Pure 1 blue can would be my choice or a Wix if you want improvement.

I'd be hard pressed if your on a budget to improve upon the Delco filter and conventional Havoline.
dunno.gif

quote:

... I know that Mobil 1 can be run for longer periods than 3,000 miles but, this old dog just can't break old habits. I can't stand to drain oil that is black a tar and feel my motor is holding up under those conditions.

I use Mobil 1 on a 3K mile = 5K km OCI because I have a turbo and my wife does alot of local driving. Oil changes, even with synthetic, are still the cheapest thing you do to your car.

Hey Rob, What kind of car and engine does it have that is giving you start up noise and what weight of Havoline you went to.

I have a 2000 Infiniti G20 that has made startup noise since 5000 miles and am still not completely satisfied with any oil and filter that I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back