Switchback LED Turns and Flasher relay conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put some switchback LED turn signals in the front of the CVPI. They are white in park mode, and switch to Amber when flashing.
What's nice about these ones is they shut off the white completely when flashing amber, sorta like a lot of newer Vehicles shut off the DRL on the side that is turning.

First part is compared to standard 3157 bulbs. Albeit the engine is not running.
Little bit of a bug with my turn signal switch. When it springs back to neutral from left it goes past neutral far enough to tap the right side lamp and trip the white LEDs off. Trying to think of a solution.
In order to get them to not fast flash I had to remove the lighting computer from the picture and use a LED compatible flasher relay.
The conversion is easy on this car.

This is one of the three connectors going into the LCM.
Excuse my nasty wiring mod, I also have the dome light circuit running through a switch so I can go Dark when needed.
The two wires I marked with arrows are the ones we are concerned with. WH/RD is the input into the flasher circuit, and LB is the output. So, those are the X and L terminals on a conventional flasher, respectively.
Normally, you would cut the wires here, at the connector to the LCM and splice wires to where you want the flasher to sit.
But, I got really lucky. When I was looking for a spot, I happened to see the two wires I needed exposed on the outside of the bundle of wires coming from the column. After double check they were the same wires I needed, I cut them right there and crimped terminals straight onto them. No splice needed.

You can also see my secret dome light disable switch.

Right next to the factory fuse box.

Next project will be to run the 'park' mode on these bulbs as DRLs. Ill have to run wiring to them and remove them from the park circuit.

So the computer does the flasher pulse. It appears my new Camry does the same thing, so no more easy solid state flasher plug in to aviod "ricer flash". Solid state signal bulbs factory installed for the turn signals, though here and there filament bulbs are still employed.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Looks good but I thought these are illegal?

There's a lot of things that are illegal. I can't keep track of them all.
Im sure Ill know by the end of the day.

Later, after I acquire another set of headlight housings, they are getting HID Projectors installed, which is definitely not legal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back