Hyperflash - is it harming anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week after driving down a particularly badly potholed road, my right turn signal went to hyperflash. ( sign of a blown bulb). Decided I'd check it out after work the next day. The right rear indicator bulb(separate from the tail light) wasn't lighting. Go into the store, head to the auto bulb aisle. Find the appropriate size, see they have an LED version available. I buy the LED, since this is an app where it will work just as well as incandescent, as i'm not trying to illuminate an area, just make sure the indicator is seen.

On this car, you have to remove the whole assembly from the body to change the bulb. When I pull that side, I see the bulb wasn't burned out, just jarred loose in the plug. But as I already had it pulled, I went ahead and replaced them both.
Couple days later I bit the bullet, and replaced the front turn/parking bulbs with LEDs as well.

Apparently this car doesn't have a separate flasher, so just swapping in an LED flasher won't work. ( it's built into the SJB) with a normal load it flashes 80 times a minute, with no/low load it goes to 120 flashes/min. Separate circut flashes the hazard lights, which still go at normal speed.

I can easily splice in load resistors, but would rather not splice in damp locations if I have a choice.

So TL:DR

with LED'S on all 4 corners, am I harming any components by just letting it hyperflash? If they were incandescent I would worry about shortening the life, but should I have the same worry for LEDs built for this type of application (flashing)???

Am I over thinking it?

Last edited:
I doubt its harming anything, certainly not the LEDs themselves. People (at least those who pay attention) will think the signal they can't see if burnt out though. That would annoy me and is the main reason I have not converted to LED in my Yamaha.

One question I have never looked for the answer to: Do load resistors negate the lower current draw of LED replacements?

Originally Posted By: buck91
I doubt its harming anything, certainly not the LEDs themselves. People (at least those who pay attention) will think the signal they can't see if burnt out though. That would annoy me and is the main reason I have not converted to LED in my Yamaha.

One question I have never looked for the answer to: Do load resistors negate the lower current draw of LED replacements?
I would guess so.

Originally Posted By: buck91

Of course. The whole point of the load resistor is to get the current draw back up to approximately what a standard bulb draws.

Does your car need to pass any annual roadworthiness test, and would this affect it? Will law enforcement take any notice?
It will make all other drivers think there is something wrong with your car!

Originally Posted By: qweased123
Does your car need to pass any annual roadworthiness test, and would this affect it? Will law enforcement take any notice?
It will make all other drivers think there is something wrong with your car!

Nope, no inspections around here. Don't know if cops would make a fuss over fast turn signals...

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Hyper flashing will reduce the life of the flasher ????????

There is no flasher. Per-se. If there was, i could just swap in an LED flasher, and everything would be rosy.

Its a function of SJB (Smart Junction Box) aka a computerized module on the CAN bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back